Options

NEW TO SOLAR AND T@G

So the wife and I just purchased new T@G XL max with solar... I have questions about how best to store camper...
I know when connected to shore power and battery switch is on the battery wil charge via shore power.. however does the battery switch need to be on to charge the battery with solar? I guess my question is can you charge via shore power and solar at the same time and does the battery switch need to be on? Is it possible to over charge the battery??? and how do i check the battery level i cant seem to see any readout on the power center/ fuse box

Comments

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

-
    My 2018 T@G will charge the battery when hooked up to shore power, whether or not if the battery switch is on.
    My solar is connected directly to the battery via the built in SAE. When the solar panels (Renogy solar suitcase) are connecter my battery switch does not need to be on.
    Is it possible to overcharge the battery - yes, but . . . your solar charge controller should prevent any damage from overcharge. The same would apply to the T@G built in converter. It should limit the charger from shore power and drop down to float mode (trickle voltage of around 13.2 Vdc).
    The new lithium battery I installed (Renogy 12V 100AH Smart Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery) has a built in battery Management System (BMS), which prevents any damage from overcharge.
    As for checking the battery level, I would suggest some sort of a 12 volt plug in device which you can plug in when you want to check the voltage of the battery. I also carry a inexpensive multi meter. When my USB ports failed in my T@G, I replace both of them with some that are switched and also display voltage.
    Lots of options to be found.
    Read the material provided with your T@G and/or search and download the manuals. Searching on this forum can also provide a wealth of information.

REPLACEMENT USB PORTS

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 632
    edited April 2021

@davidchodges

****I know when connected to shore power and battery switch is on the battery wil charge via shore power.. however does the battery switch need to be on to charge the battery with solar? **”No - if you have the factory installed solar panel and controller, they are wired directly to the battery and will charge the battery with the battery switch turned on or off.”

**I guess my question is can you charge via shore power and solar at the same time and does the battery switch need to be on? “ You can simultaneously charge the TaG battery via shorepower (or via TV 7 pin) and via installed solar. If the battery switch is turned off while on shorepower, then your TaG battery will only charge via solar - sun dependent.

Is it possible to over charge the battery??? If your charge controller and converter are working correctly, then you should not overcharge your battery.

“How do i check the battery level?” A cheap and easy way to learn about battery voltage is to buy a 12v meter. Keep in mind, this kind of reading will vary if your solar or shorepower is charging the battery or if you are running a load (lights, water pump, frig). A better way is to install a shunted battery monitor.

Also, just an FYI since you are a newbie - while towing, your battery switch need to be turned on to charge the TaG battery, but also to power the emergency brakes in the event of a disconnect.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    beakybeaky Member Posts: 283

hen storing the unit keep the battery turned off. every 2 weeks turn the battery on and plug in the shore power for 12 hours to recharge the battery as it dies have slow discharge when off. Batteries like to go up and down a little so periodic shore charging keeps it happy.