Options

SeaSucker Monkey Bars Roof Rack

Greetings T@gers!

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the SeaSucker Monkey Bars roof rack, on their t@g? I found this item online. Apparently, it uses large suction cups to attach the rack, to the roof. I would like to have an awning on my 2020 t@g Boondock 5 wide and have the ability to transport a small kayak.

I am fearful of drilling holes in my roof, for a Yakima. If at all possible, I would like to avoid drilling. Any thoughts, comments, personal experiences or suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you, in advance!

Comments

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Some how, I can not get my self to trust any succion cups on a long run. Let alone a roof rack. But this is me.

Othe point the yakima rack is not holding by the roof skin, but but the roof structure. And I would beleive that the roof skin only hold by the side rails. So humm, no, I woukd rather drill the roof skin and anchor to the structure.

But this is me,

• Options
    MisterbeeMisterbee Member Posts: 23

I had a similar thought about a year ago, and I wrote to Seasucker to ask how well it would work with carrying bikes. Their reply was that if with a couple of the 6” vacuum mounts, it would be no problem. Not sure it applies to kayaks, but you might shoot them an email: info@seasucker.com

• Options
    Tag75605Tag75605 Member Posts: 40

Thank you, Luckyj and Misterbee. I appreciate your thoughts!

• Options
    rasras Member Posts: 173

If you decide to drill the roof, contact NuCamp with your year and model to get the precise location of the cross bars supporting the roof. You want your screws to go into the crossbars, not just into the skin.

RV 2016 T@G 5W
    TV 2019 Outback or 2011 4Runner

• Options
    evpeelingevpeeling Member Posts: 67

Those are interesting. I like the idea of being able to take them off when they aren't needed. Would help a little with drag. I think I would also be a little nervous about the suction cups, but the reviews look promising

2020 Tag BD 5W, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, PA

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@evpeeling said:
    Those are interesting. I like the idea of being able to take them off when they aren't needed. Would help a little with drag. I think I would also be a little nervous about the suction cups, but the reviews look promising

The yakima rack can be take down in about 2 min, with only small base plate remaining in fix location. But it also lock in place when installed.

So no drag at all when not installed. And easy to put back, cause you do not loose adjustment. It is a clamp system tgat works great.

So great that it is my third suimilar set up, I have a set install on my nizzan X-trail and also on my 2000 e320 mercedes. Only rack I could easely fit. Had to drill the roof. But it is a 2000 ans not a classic. 😉