Options

Propane Switch Mod

When boondocking every watt counts. At some point NuCamp had to install a safety solenoid valve on the propane line to the galley to shut off propane when the hatch is closed. As many have noticed when you open the hatch you can hear a 'click' noise, this is the solenoid being energized to allow propane to flow.
There is nothing wrong with this and I have no intention of bypassing a safety device. However, I like to have my hatch open for convenience, and don't want the solenoid essentially wasting battery power when I have no need for it.
My solution is a little crude, but it works for me. I took a piece of automotive heater hose I had laying around and slit it down the middle, I can then wrap it on the strut post and slide it down into the interlock switch, the end result is the switch is then actuated and de-energizes the solenoid. Now there is no draw from the battery with the hatch open, and the safety switch still remains operational.
I added an old aviation tag I had to remind me to remove the hose before closing the hatch or using the burners.

Toronto, Ontario Canada
2020 T@G Boondock Edge XL

Comments