Crosstrek towing

I have a T@G xl can I pull it safely with a Subaru crosstrek?

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 622
    edited December 2021

https://nucamprv.com/tag-trailer/2022-nucamp-tag-specifications

The TaG XL dry weight is almost 1400#. Add a full 20# propane tank (35#) and gear and you will easily exceed the 1500# Crosstrek tow capacity and tongue weight limit of 150#. Better to not max out your tow capacity.

The 2021 Subaru Crosstrek has a maximum towing capacity of 1,500 pounds.

The 2021 Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid has a maximum towing capacity of 1,000 pounds.

Trim Engine- 2020 Towing capacity - 2021 Towing capacity

Base 2.0L H4 Engine 1,500 lbs 1,500 lbs
    Premium 2.0L H4 Engine 1,500 lbs 1,500 lbs
    Sport 2.5L H4 Engine N/A 1,500 lbs
    Limited 2.5L H4 Engine 1,500 lbs 1,500 lbs
    Hybrid 2.0L Hybrid H4 Engine 1,000 lbs 1,000 lbs

Extra Crosstrek Towing Tips

Crosstrek models equipped with BSD (Blind Spot Detection) and RCTA (Rear Cross Traffic Alert) will want to turn these features turned off. These systems operate on radar waves and may not work properly if blocked by a trailer.
    The 2021 Crosstrek maximum tongue weight of 150 lbs with tongue weight between 8 to 11 percent of total trailer weight.
    The 2021 Crosstrek maximum towing capacity is reduced to 750 lbs for continuously uphill drives longer than 5 miles.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• hooksnatcherhooksnatcher Member Posts: 14

I believe the published dry weight for our 2017 T@G XL is a bit less than 1,200 lbs. We do not transport water in our tank and we've switched from the 20 lb. LP tank to a few 1 lb. bottles per trip. We do load a bunch of gear and stuff in the T@G though. I've towed our T@G with our 2016 Crosstrek up and down the North Georgia mountains and across the Southeast without any issues. Actually it seems like our Crosstrek tows it a little better than our 2019 Outback. Just our experience.

RV 2017 T@G XL TV's 2016 Subaru Crosstrek, 2019 Subaru Outback, 2002 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner

• DinOregonDinOregon Member Posts: 12

I tow with my Crosstrek. As with hooksnatcher, we generally don't fill our onboard water tank. Sure it has to slow down going up long hills, but it does OK. Be aware that the cruise control is not tuned for the extra weight -- it will over-rev when the vehicle doesn't accelerate as quickly as it thinks it should. I put the shift in manual and use the paddle shifters when going up and down hills. I took the T@G up a reasonably gnarly road in the mountains, and I was very impressed by the way the car pulled.

Of course it's not a Rubicon or XTerra, so we treat the Crosstrek as gently as we can.