Options

Air Vent under my 2021TAG Boondock

JDWJDW Member Posts: 13

Just returned from a two day trip going thru the Mojave Desert... Got home to find the entire inside of the trailer was covered with a thick layer of dust. When I crawled under the trailer I notice a large screened vent... What the heck were the designers thinking? So much for water crossings!!! Anyone know what the vent is for? I Cant believe it is for the AC unit... I plan to cover this vent opening... Ideas or suggestions appreciated...

Comments

• Options
    zgfiredudezgfiredude Member Posts: 206

It is the exhaust for the A/C! Incoming air goes in thru the "cowbells" on the upper outside walls and into that central chamber above that floor vent and the exhaust is "supposed" to go down and out. When you run the A/C unit, you have to turn on the separate a/c fan switch near the a/c unit to activate the little fans that draw that outside air in and subsequently out the exhaust.

It's all kind of silly and counter intuitive but that is how it's designed.

'21 T@G 5w Boondock, 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser B)

• Options
    rasras Member Posts: 174

You might figure a way to cover it while you're driving in the desert, but if you ever expect to use your air conditioning again, you'll need to remove it when parked.

RV 2016 T@G 5W
    TV 2019 Outback or 2011 4Runner

• Options
    JDWJDW Member Posts: 13

Thanks for your information... I was thinking that the incoming air for the AC came in from the front of the AC unit (goes thru the filter) and blows out the back of the AC unit and out the two side vents... Sounds to me like the designers at NuCamp never took a trailer off road before they decided to design a "Boondock" version...!!!

• Options
    rasras Member Posts: 174
    edited June 2023

Some folks have turned the fans around so the air flow is moving bottom to top. Not sure how that helps. What I do is stuff sponges in the cowbells while traveling and take them out on arrival. It appears to help..

RV 2016 T@G 5W
    TV 2019 Outback or 2011 4Runner