Options

Water Pump Stopped Working in 8 month old 2022 T@g Boondock

Pup7Pup7 Member Posts: 14

Hi - I used my water pump for the first time on a trip this weekend. Or I tried to - I dewinterized the system, primed the pump, filled the tank, and it worked great - for one full day. Now the pump doesn't come on at all. It just stopped working for no apparent reason. I hear nothing when I flip the switch. The tank was filled with filtered water, it's never been hooked up to city water, it's in the fifties here in Anchorage at night and was in the seventies all weekend. It just stopped working. I only cut the pump on when I was using the water; I couldn't find ANY instructions as to whether it was okay to leave it on (other than don't leave it on and walk away), so I only flipped on the switch if I was going to use the faucet.

The owner's manual this company has is horrible by any standard and the booklet from the manufacturer of the pump was even less help. The walk around I got when I purchased the camper in WA before I moved to AK was even more woeful (as I've learned); what I know I've had to learn on the fly (and the folks on this forum have been a help, let me tell you LOL - I don't post much but I lurk A LOT). I've checked every fuse and nothing's blown. I'm not even sure the correct fuses are in the slots in the fuse box - I've realized the colors labeled don't match the colors of the fuses in the box. (But I can't find a fuse schematic anywhere so I don't even know if those are correct.) None of the breakers are flipped. The only nuCamp dealer here in Alaska is in Wasilla and their earliest appointment is the FIFTEENTH OF AUGUST, which I of course took but in reality isn't much help at the moment. I am NOT an electrician or a plumber and thanks to the Air Force I'm geographically separated on top of that. My husband has tried to Google stuff (he's the resident handyman) but with him not able to see what either of us are talking about there's not much he can do.

I have to admit - given this thing cost as much as some cars I've owned, I'm a bit frustrated. I don't expect stuff to just die when it's used once. I know it's not very complex, but it may as well be an aircraft carrier's plumbing given what I know about this stuff.

Please help - I'm sorry I'm so frustrated, but it's annoying to be out and about and have to break camp to go buy water from a grocery store in Seward! (Especially when the tank was FULL!!! LOL!!) I obviously survived but I expected more. It worked fine when I left home, worked fine for one whole day - and then just died. Nothing. Zip. Open to any ideas anyone has. Thanks in advance.

2022 T@g Boondock 5WTV: 2023 Subaru Outback Wilderness

Comments

• Options
    GulfCoastGulfCoast Member Posts: 76
    edited June 2023

Here's a "can't-hurt" suggestion that has worked over the years on windshield wiper motors, carburetor bowl floats, and small pumps. Try switching the power to the pump on, opening the faucet, and whacking the pump body with the handle of a screwdriver. Hold the screwdriver blade and hit the pump hard enough that it would definitely crack an egg but not hard enough to splash egg everywhere.

Also, check the pump filter for obstructions. There's a little clear bowl attached to the filter that you can unscrew to access the filter.

I've been in Seward only once, but I recall that the mom-and-pop burger place there had the best fried halibut sandwich I've ever tasted.

Minor problems and inconveniences are usually a part of camping. Press on and enjoy your trip.

• Options
    Pup7Pup7 Member Posts: 14

I'll try that this weekend. I came back to Anchorage on Monday as planned. I have no issues with minor inconveniences (I've spent 19 years in the military and am well acquainted with being minorly inconvenienced, LOL, and have hiked and backpacked for decades), I just find the failure of an essentially brand new item used once for 24 hours to be somewhat annoying.

2022 T@g Boondock 5WTV: 2023 Subaru Outback Wilderness

• Options
    MaryJessMaryJess Member Posts: 12

We had the same thing happen with our 2022 XL. Pump was bad, had it replaced.

• Options
    JDWJDW Member Posts: 13

Purchased a 2021 TAG from dealer... They installed a new water pump when I picked it up.... Used the trailer two times and the pump worked ok... Third time out the pump did not work (ran but no water)... I checked all the fittings but could not get it to pump...
    Just one more "cheap" part NuCamp installed in this trailer...

• Options
    arubinoarubino Member Posts: 4

just out of curiosity, I have a 2016 and it has the older style pump with all the mechanical and electrical built into the unit itself, I see the new T@G's have a 'standard' looking faucet, presumably, with no pump on switch in the handle, is there somewhere that shows how that system works? I may look to change ours out when it fails and use the new day system in its place.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 636

So, it wouldn’t prime? Did you try drawing water through the intake line?

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    JDWJDW Member Posts: 13

Good idea Sharon... That is on my list to try....