Options

Rust on trailer tongue

GulfCoastGulfCoast Member Posts: 92
Does anyone have suggestions about how to deal with rust on the tongue? Is the PQR-15 product suggested by @WilliamA the preferred solution? Or is paint a better way to go.

The small flaws in the powder coated finish have quickly enlarged into something somewhat worse.

Comments

• Options
    JoeFridayJoeFriday Member Posts: 9
    You may wish to try a product called OSPHO.  It is a rust treatment used by commercial fishermen on trawlers and is excellent.  Available at many hardware stores but not usually found at the big box stores such as Home Depot or Lowe's.  I cannot explain the chemical science, but it's my go-to rust treatment.
  • Options
    @JoeFriday, have you used Ospho on powder-coated surfaces like the T@G frame? Have any tips? Any thoughts on a finish paint to come close to matching the rest of the frame?

Thanks.
  • Options
    zgfiredudezgfiredude Member Posts: 208
    I took was going to suggest Ohpho....I would take a scraper to the "loose" powder coat and peel it off..that rust is going to work it's was under the powder to any available moisture.  If it was mine, 1. scrape, sand, grinder back to clean metal and solid powder coat. 2. then treat all exposed metal with Ospho which renders the rust insert. And 3. paint of your choose....I'd lean to POR 15. It has a shiny hard finish that will closely mimic the powder coat.

'21 T@G 5w Boondock, 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser B)

• Options
    JoeFridayJoeFriday Member Posts: 9
    GulfCoast said:
    @JoeFriday, have you used Ospho on powder-coated surfaces like the T@G frame? Have any tips? Any thoughts on a finish paint to come close to matching the rest of the frame?

Thanks.
    I have used OSPHO on bare steel and on iron but not on powder coated or painted surfaces.  I clean the surface to bare metal.  In your case, I'd scrape the loose rust off and get down to the metal, then paint/wipe on the OSPHO.  It's a very thin liquid.  I think it will work for your purposes. 
  • Options