2024 T@G 5wide Boondock: How do you tell water level with new 23gallon under the floor tank?

Greetings from a T@G newbie! We just did our first shake-down trip with our brand new rig and were wondering how others have solved the mystery of telling how much water is in the tank. I'm afraid the whole thing is out of sight/out of mind. Anyone figured out a work around? 

Comments

• ragtag2ragtag2 Member Posts: 29
    I asked the NuCamp customer service email this question (and some others about the new T@G 5wides having a tiny 1 burner stove/sink combo vs the 2 burners of previous models) and received: 

"I have also noticed that you have submitted another email in regards a question about the level of the fresh water tank. There is no tank monitor inside the TAG, the only way to really know that it is completely full is the water will come out the overflow on to the ground." 

Knowing when one is running low on water is my primary concern. There must be someone out there with experience in the boating or aviation realms that have some ideas/work arounds...

• rasras Member Posts: 190
    edited May 31
     Don't have this problem in my 2016 but I used to run a gas station.   Assuming you have a fill connection and a hose pipe connection, how about a clean dowel pushed down the fill pipe when it's full.  When you pull the stick out, make a mark at the top of the wet and about half way thru the wet portion of the dowel.  You should be able to visually interpolate how much is still in the tank when you do it again later.

RV 2016 T@G 5W
    TV 2019 Outback or 2011 4Runner

@ras, I appreciate your problem solving mindset and thinking low-tech. So, I looked at what my plumbing looks like and it is
    not pretty for using the dip-stick method...
  • DCN082162DCN082162 Member Posts: 32
    You can use a flexible thing, like a wire or hose and push it down the inlet when it is full then mark the full spot. As you use the tank,  keep measuring every so often, when it starts to suck air in the inlet, mark that spot on the hose, thats empty, practically. Mark both points with something indelible and your all set.
    @DCN082162 we’ll give the flexible dip tube/probe method a try next time (and be sure to share the results.) Thanks so much for offering your insight. 
    Boilers have a "sight guage/sight glass" to show the water level inside. I'm exploring how to use the tank drain (with some clear plastic tubing added) to act as a sight guage. I really did not want to be sticking things down the fill pipe (dip stick concept) and possibly introducing contaminates in my water system. Hopefully this will be a low-tech way to get some insight regarding the water level inside the T@G's tank (which is located just above the wheels, below the galley/cabin "floor.") Of course the rig will need to be as level as I can make it and I will also have a range of only the 3+" between full and empty... that's the theory here.

Above: That's 1/2" clear tubing, which is a little big for the Pex valve barbs. Need to work on that.

Need to get that water tank full, level the trailer and start making some marks on the tubing (maybe do a little TLC washing of T@G also...)
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 647
    Great idea!

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator