Options

Advice needed....have a very heavy battery

I was made a fantastic deal on a Intimidator 8A8D AGM Battery...245 amp hrs (retails for $600...was able to purchase for $176). Here is the issue....it weighs 161 lbs. I am concerned that if I mount this on the T@G I may over stress the frame over time.

I need the collective wisdom of this group to advise me. If it is in fact too heavy, I am open to suggestions to alternative ways of using this battery. Last resort I can return.

Comments

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

I would first ruminate on the need for that much power. Second, the infrastructure necessary to charge such a beast. Charging with a tow-vehicle would be taxing to say the least. Third, if that much power were needed, one could haul a group 27 atm and generator both at 2/3 the weight and access to potentially higher (essentially unlimited) power. The generator also can supply 110v at a fraction of the weight. The first order of business is truly and realistically estimating total, real-time power requirements.
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    johnny_swindlejohnny_swindle Member Posts: 6

@WilliamA

You are correct. However many places that I want to camp do not allow generators and many times 110v is not available.

I believe that I will return and get two 230 amp hr 6 volt golf cart batteries. Weight saving will be around 60+ lbs.