Options

Spare jack!!!!

Our Tag did not come with a tire jack. We bought it from another couple who had it less than a year, but no jack included. Can anyone recommend a good place to get a dependable, but inexpensive jack? Walmart? Amazon? Also, is there a certain size that works best? We're taking it out for her maiden voyage this next week, and I do NOT want to be without means to change a flat. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

Use the tow vehicle jack. Might need a wood block or two, but they almost always can be made to work. Do a test at home first...
    WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

They dont come with a jack. I bring along a small hydraulic scissor jack I picked up years ago.

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options
    rickwe818rickwe818 Member Posts: 37

Thanks! WilliamA. Guess I didn't consider that. I've got a Silverado, hope it fits!

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 139

Never, ever put a jack under your axle, @rickwe818, as you will take a chance on bending it. Use the frame instead.

I use an 8 lb bottle jack from Harbor Freight. Inexpensive. I guess I had better check to see if it works with my new T@B 400....

• Options
    Fourman110Fourman110 Member Posts: 229

I was planning on following the Nucamp YouTube video on this topic.

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Well, base on info we get from the different suplier, I have just happen to read from the stabilizer co pany paper supplied with the T@G, that the stabilizer should never be use for that purpose. Only to stabilized the trailer, never to lift it or support the weight of the trailer woth wheels off the ground.

So I guess new camps need to come up with something else.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 139

At üCamp18, the nüCamp factory rally last month in Ohio, Marvin and Creed, the two nüCamp techs, did say they no longer felt the stabilizer/ tongue method was believed to be the best way to jack up the nüCamp campers.

They recommended using a jack under the frame to jack up the nüCamp campers.

There is also a small piece of metal that is inside each tire (I’m not a mechanic, guys, so help me with the name of the piece of metal) that is safe to place a small jack. There is another YouTube nüCamp video on jacking up the axle, but not using the stabilizers and tongue jack to get the tires off the ground.

But, still you must never put a jack under the torsion bar axle because the axle will bend.

• Options
    rickwe818rickwe818 Member Posts: 37

Thanks for the video! I won't have any trouble changing a flat, just want to get a jack that works. I will probably go with the suggestion of using my truck's jack. Should work, but to be safe I'll do a practice at home first. Thanks everyone for the info. As always it is much appreciated!

• Options

Rick,
    I'd be amazed to discover that your jack won't work on the trailer. We're not lifting a WWII German U-Boat here. Just leave your trailer connected to the tow vehicle and you'll be fine as frogs-hair. If you really want to do yourself a favor, replace the lugnuts with proper lugnuts that do not have chrome sleeves. That's to say, one-piece lugnuts. The chrome covers tend to strip the chrome covers, creating a situation where you have 5 wheel-nut locks and no key. Or you could also spend your vacation alongside the road with a tiny, sharp chisel removing the chrome covers so you can pound off the round-shouldered lugnuts underneath. To get the right size and pitch, just remove one and take it with you to the parts store. The parts guy will just smile quietly and know EXACTLY what you are doing. He's seen it before, the wild hair, the bug-eyed, sweating, bleeding guy on the other side of the counter....
    Don't ask me how I know any of this....This didn't happen to me....I heard of a guy who had that happen and he learned how to curse in 8 languages over the course of an hour. I mean....I heard of a guy.....
    "That's all I know about that....." Forrest Gump

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

Just how fine is frogs-hair?

Bill

• Options

@BBsGarage said:

Can't see it with the naked eye, but then who wants to look at naked eyes anyway....
    WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

@WilliamA said:

@BBsGarage said:

Can't see it with the naked eye, but then who wants to look at naked eyes anyway....
    WilliamA

Or frog hair for that matter :)

Bill