Tow Vehicle Problem

I no longer have a tow vehicle. While stopped at an intersection (without my T@G), a minvan hit us from behind at what I estimate to be 50mph. Could have been at faster. No slowing down. No squeal of breaks. Thanks to the design of the vehicle, the back end crumbled, absorbing most of the energy before we careened to the ditch. The vehicle that hit us ended up about 10 feet past where we were stopped before being hit.

My two boys and I walked away from the accident uninjured. I can't fully describe how gobsmacked I am about how well this car was designed. Our Subaru Outback 2.5i saved us from severe injury or worse. #SubaruSavedMe

So, needless to say I need a new tow vehicle. I want something with the Subaru Outback safety equip / ratings or better and within about 15% of our fuel milage. Our 2017 Outback did a decent job of towing, but it lost about 50% of its mileage when towing the Boondock XL. I'd like a little more power when towing. Right now I'm really looking at an Ascent. With nearly twice the towing capability of the Outback and more than 2X the max tongue weight, it looks pretty sweet. Only problem is it's a first year model (though doing well), and very popular (so discounts and availability are limited).

Another option I'm looking at is the Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited. Torque goes from 174 lb-ft to 247 lb-ft.

Anybody have experience towing a teardrop with one of these two? Any recommendations?

PS. If you want a safe car, I can't recommend the Subaru brand enough and I'm really glad I'm here to recommend it.

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
Jay

Comments

• LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Wow, a short body outback!
    '
    Seriously, I am glad that everybody came out ok from this!

As for a replacement TV, I will let other do it!

Again, happy it turn out good, considering the impact! :)

• BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

Yikes !!!

Glad everyone is safe.

After seeing that I would definitely go with the Outback 3.6R, its what we use, MPG while towing is around 19 depending on the terrain.

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• SueBHunnySueBHunny Member Posts: 133

Suddenly I love my Subaru Outback even more.

Sue
    State College, PA
    2015 T@G Max
    2012 Subaru Outback

@SueBHunny said:

I guess those commercials are true. Go figure.

Bill

• JoabmcJoabmc Member Posts: 64

Wow! Can't believe you all walked away unscathed after a hit like that. Glad that all are OK.
    Can't help w/ TV's as all mine pass everything BUT a gas station!! We test drove a few Subaru models and were impressed, but I've always been a 4WD person so ultimately stayed in my comfort zone. Good luck finding a replacement.

19 T@G XL Boondock Edge
    07 Lexus GX 470

• ChaverimChaverim Member Posts: 90

I have lived a crash in a Subaru before. They are certainly strong and built right. That being said my next TV is actually going to be a Volvo.

Mike
    Chaverim Basenjis
    -—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—
    2018 T@G Sofitel
    2016 Audi A3 e-tron

• MartogMartog Member Posts: 97

@BBsGarage said:
    Yikes !!!

Glad everyone is safe.

After seeing that I would definitely go with the Outback 3.6R, its what we use, MPG while towing is around 19 depending on the terrain.

I'd agree with that, I wish I had gotten the H6 when I got my Outback.

2019 T@G XL Boondock Edge "Prometheus"
    2010 Subaru Outback 2.5L "Ecto 10"

• Fourman110Fourman110 Member Posts: 229

@BBsGarage said:

@SueBHunny said:

I guess those commercials are true. Go figure.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Still shaking my head about walking away from it. Extra blessed.

@BB's Garage, how does the 3.6R handle hills? My 2.5i, would bog down just a bit. Nothing dire, but always worried I was putting a bit much on the engine.

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay

I havent seen an issue with any of the hills I've been on.
    You do have to give it a little more throttle but nothing I wouldnt have expected.

Bill

• tanda62tanda62 Member Posts: 38

What a hit, glad everyone was able to walk away.
    To offer another idea, we traded in a 15 Outback 4 cylinder for a Chevy Colorado V6 to tow our Boondock. Just did a 4000 plus mile trip from Florida to New Mexico and it towed great averaging 19 miles to the gallon.

Test drove the Ascent and it seems a no brainer. Nice amenities, would pick up right away when you punched it, 5000 lbs tow capacity, and most importantly life saving safety features.

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay

• AnacortesArmyGuyAnacortesArmyGuy Member Posts: 25

We just upgraded our 2016 Crosstrek Limited to a 2019 Ascent Premium. Have 850 miles on it with the factory installed hitch - couldn’t be more happy.

2017 T@G Max
    2016 Subaru Crosstrek
    Anacortes, WA

• OutdoorEdOutdoorEd Member Posts: 110

Wow. I'm so glad you folks weren't injured. Wonder if the other driver was texting and that's why they made no effort to avoid the crash?

We traded our '16 Outback 2.5i for an '18 Outback 3.6R. The 4 cyl towed our T@G alright, but the engine strained on steeper and/or longer climbs (I felt sorry for it, it had to work so hard) and acceleration was anemic. Otoh, the 6 cyl doesn't even work hard to go 70 mph up the same 5% grade, 5 mile long climb the 4 cyl strained to do at 60 MPH. (I normally tow @ 65 to avoid tire ply separation, but wanted to see how much difference b/w the two motors.) Also, the difference in acceleration is pretty amazing. Plus, the ride is better and quieter.

Ed & Karen
    2017 T@G Max XL
    2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R

@OutdoorEd said:
    Wow. I'm so glad you folks weren't injured. Wonder if the other driver was texting and that's why they made no effort to avoid the crash?

We traded our '16 Outback 2.5i for an '18 Outback 3.6R. The 4 cyl towed our T@G alright, but the engine strained on steeper and/or longer climbs (I felt sorry for it, it had to work so hard) and acceleration was anemic. Otoh, the 6 cyl doesn't even work hard to go 70 mph up the same 5% grade, 5 mile long climb the 4 cyl strained to do at 60 MPH. (I normally tow @ 65 to avoid tire ply separation, but wanted to see how much difference b/w the two motors.) Also, the difference in acceleration is pretty amazing. Plus, the ride is better and quieter.

This is why I wished I had gotten the 3.6 when I got my 2010. I don't really want new so I'm maybe going to get a used 3.6 S a second vehicle or a used truck.

• OutdoorEdOutdoorEd Member Posts: 110

Subaru hasn't said anything official on this, but it's widely rumored that sometime in the next few years they will replace the 6 cyl with a new turbocharged 4cyl. I believe the 6 better meets our needs.

Ed & Karen
    2017 T@G Max XL
    2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R

@OutdoorEd said:
    Subaru hasn't said anything official on this, but it's widely rumored that sometime in the next few years they will replace the 6 cyl with a new turbocharged 4cyl. I believe the 6 better meets our needs.

It wouldn't surprise me. The Ascent is a turbocharged 2.4L H4 with a little more HP than the current 3.6L in the 2019 Outback. I doubt they will raise the towing capacity as I think they want the ascent to be that vehicle.

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Administrator Posts: 517
    edited November 2018

So what happened to the other car and driver? How old was the driver, male, female??? And if I was guessing I would bet this was a “texting & driving” event, correct? What did the police think?

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

@Michigan_Mike said:
    So what happened to the other car and driver? How old was the driver, male, female??? And if I was guessing I would bet this was a “texting & driving” event, correct? What did the police think?

There was a passenger in the other car. Both were in their 40s. I was the first person to their car, checking on injuries. Both were near hysterical with the driver repeating “ no brakes”. Despite both saying they weren’t injured (I left to tend my boys about 30 seconds after another bystander made it to their minivan), the passenger was taken to the hospital via ambulance. The police report repeated the no brakes claim, citing the driver for failure to stop.

I’m still amazed we walked away. My Subaru saved my family from permanent injury or worse.

I pick up my new Ascent next week. We worked the trailer hitch into the deal but there were some delays in getting it (on back order not long ago). 5000lbs towing capacity and 500lbs tongue will be a really nice step up. On top of it, the hitch kit includes the 7 and 4 pin receptical and wiring harness as well as a patch harness to hook a braking controller up front. Picked up a Tekonsha 90195 P3 Electronic Brake Control controller. With the harnesses included, it looks simple enough for almost anyone to install. My dealer will be installing the 7/4 pin harness and receptical, leaving just the controller for me.

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 626

What model minivan?

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

@Sharon_is_SAM said:
    What model minivan?

Toyota Sienna. Their airbags deployed, pretty much saving them. It was hard to pull the side curtain airbag up to talk to them (odd factoid I wish I didn't know).

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay

• beakybeaky Member Posts: 283

we have a 2018 Outback but our Toyota FJ gets better towing mileage. Get the Ascent

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 626

Glad everyone was okay. Sorry for your loss, but proof positive Subaru makes a good product.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator