Options

Cover for Tag XL Boondock Edge

I am new to the forum and will be buying a 2019 Tag XL Boondock Edge in a couple weeks. I plan to store the Tag outside under an overhang but would still like to buy a cover for it since it will be outside. I'm having a hard time finding one that fits the wider XL....Any suggestions would be great. Thanks! Dale

Comments

• Options
    robertcrewrobertcrew Member Posts: 4
  • Options
    ridevt2dayridevt2day Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2019

I’m in the same position as robertcrew in looking for cover options for a 2019 T@G Boondocks Edge Xl and it seems the link off of NuCamp’s site is the best option for covering trailer tires and tongue box. It does look like the Yakima sun shad would have to be removed for it to fit over the roof. Can anyone with experience chime in on this?https://www.allproadventures.com/product-page/new-tag-covers

• Options
    MichaelMichael Member Posts: 45

I don't have a sunshade for my 5w however I do have the tubular roof racks. I do remove them before I put my cover on as I I want as little as possible as far as pressure points on the cover.

• Options
    ridevt2dayridevt2day Member Posts: 2

Thanks for adding tha comment Michael, always good to learn from others experiences.

Joe

• Options
    MartogMartog Member Posts: 97

I have that one and I made sure I fastened it down nice and good but the wind here lately had pretty much beat it and it has ripped in several places, guess for that price can't complain too much.

2019 T@G XL Boondock Edge "Prometheus"
    2010 Subaru Outback 2.5L "Ecto 10"

• Options
    Scotty49Scotty49 Member Posts: 23

The Classic Accesories cover will easily fit over the Slim Shady. We live in Phoenix and keep our 2018 T@G XL Outback covered when not in use. We’ve had the cover now for 18 months. A few areas have rubbed holes that have been easily repaired with duct tape. I suspect I will replace the cover with a new one at the end of the summer. Pretty good longevity for the price.

• Options

Thank you all for your feedback!

• Options
    BobrocksBobrocks Member Posts: 17

Hello! We had the classic cover here in the desert and really liked the zippered door access. Alas,it only lasted from June til October. The white material turned to a crumbly, disintegrating mess. No match for our blazing sun. Still looking for a good cover to replace the reflective tarp . Best of luck.

• Options

Thanks Bobrocks! Bought the Classic cover and really hoping ours lasts longer than that. We don't have the desert heat but our Michigan ice storms is what I worry most about. Picked up or new Tag last week and really looking forward to our first trip. Enjoy the summer!

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@robertcrew said:
    Thanks Bobrocks! Bought the Classic cover and really hoping ours lasts longer than that. We don't have the desert heat but our Michigan ice storms is what I worry most about. Picked up or new Tag last week and really looking forward to our first trip. Enjoy the summer!

We got one last fall, and so far, after a north eastern quebec winter, with about 20 somes feet of snow fall, it is still in great condition. I did punch a hole in it with the corner of a plastic shovel while removing the snow after a storm. I had left the yakima rack on it an made a vunerable slop. If it would have laid flat, pretty sure it would still be in perferct shape. Do not think I will leave it for summer, since I need to reinstall our ARB awning.

I think I will fix the hole with some seam grip glue.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 636
    edited April 2019

@Bobrocks, do you have the Classic Accessories Polypro or Permapro? The Polypro is gray and more fabric-like and the Permapro is a pressed, polyester that has gray and white.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    BobrocksBobrocks Member Posts: 17
  • Options

I think the Polypro material is more substantial.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240
    edited April 2019

@Sharon_is_SAM said:
    I think the Polypro material is more substantial.

Well, it will not resist to my alaskan malamuthe that just ripped it appart from the trailer yesterday.
    But I think ours was a permapro. But I do not think that none of them would have resist that treatment, since she ripped apart a truck rubber mudflap that was almost 1/4" two week ago. ;)

We think she has seperation anxiety disorder, since she only does that when she is by her self at the cabine for like 8 hours. Poor thing.

• Options

Here is another idea for covering your TaG. A TaB owner out in Phoenix came up with this to provide shade. Not a solution where you have lots of snow!

• Options
    Tim_KimTim_Kim Member Posts: 2

The canopy Sharon_is_SAM posted directly above is very cool. Can Sharon or anyone else tell me if they know where to find something like this? Don't know if it is homemade, but I can't find anything like it online.

• Options

I think it is ?Shelter Logic. Not home made. Let me try to find the post on the TaB forum.

• Options

@Tim_Kim,

It is Shelter Logic. Here is the post:

This is a modified ShelterLogic Monarc 9 x 16 canopy ($179). The end result is a 9 wide by 13 foot long canopy that allows the ceiling fan cover to open approximately 70% and the front window approximately 80% full without touching the fabric. The white pipe was needed as I had damaged one of the Monarc pieces (to be painted black). Uses PTO pins for fast assembly and takedown. Can be assembled by one person, but not something you'd want to do just for a short campout. Will cut four pieces of MDF board for lag bases and screw the pole feet to them. I bought some canopy weight bags from Amazon to put over the MDF boards. The passenger side does not interfere with my Pahaque XL visor or awning (wanted to use them with this). The driver side provides 34" of shade (more than enough to cover the open window). Cost = $179 Monarc canopy, $30 PTO pins and $17 weight bags for a total of $226. A step ladder with a 30" top step is needed to reach the top. Total weight is only 38 lbs. Step ladder is another 7 lbs.

Here is another idea:

It is the Offroad Gear shelter ($119 on Amazon, $60 on sale).

Benefits:

Very easy for one person to assemble on the ground and place on the roof.

Allows maximum opening of the ceiling fan vent cover

Will keep the interior the same temperature as outside in the shade.

Has two Velcro slats on either side for more circulation.

Keeps the interior darker, making it feel "cooler."

Holds up fairly well with moderate wind.

Works with the Pahaque awning or visors.

Can add a second visor to the driver side Keder rail for shading that side of the T@B.

Front wall can be folded in half and will Velcro to the two poles.

A second wall can be added to the rear for more sun protection.

It was 82 outside in the shade at 6,700' elevation. The cabin temp never exceeded 82. Will be adding the small Pahaque visor to the driver side for additional shade. Did not use the small fiberglass center pole (left to right) because I was concerned it might scratch the roof trim. Will be getting correct sized bungees for the rear tie-downs on the tire rack.

(These are rather thin and may not hold up well.)

• Options
    Tim_KimTim_Kim Member Posts: 2