Options

Replacing fender light

So, my last trip out I noticed the driver side fender light was not functioning. All of the other lights are working fine and the wiring and connections seem intact. I want to try to remove the lightbulb cover to test/replace the bulb but I can't get that darn plastic piece off without risking busting it. Does anybody know if there's a trick to popping it off in one piece? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Do not know what year, vut if you have led everywhere else, then they are LED as well. So I am prety sure you need to replace the complet fender light assembly.

I will let others confirm this. I have a regular width T@G w/o tye fender lights.

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

I had the same problem with the left fender light. It turned out to be the wire splices in that circuit directly ahead of the axle and within the harness had failed due to water in the non-weathertight butt connectors. I replaced both marker lights anyway due to the necessity of replacing the harness where it was worn through by tire contact.
    I also traced the harness for the left clearance light, found the failure and replaced the connectors with waterproof jobs.
    You can remove the chrome swag by working a screwdriver under it and popping it off but its tight. There's nothing beneath it to test.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 633

I know a TaG owner that that had to rewire due to tire contact. I wonder how common that is.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517
    edited July 2019

You won’t be able to replace the light bulb as it is a sealed LED fixture. I’m guessing that if you get under the trailer and look up under the frame you will see that it has two threaded studs that go through the frame and the nuts can be unscrewed. I have replaced a couple of the LED fixtures and it does require a little work and coaxing the light off and on as it has silicone behind it. I had a fixture fail after driving up and back from Alaska in 2015 on my former Silver Shadow and I had to drill new screw openings to accommodate a similar light.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    AspenAspen Member Posts: 45

Thank you , everybody. It's a 2018 XL Boondock and I noticed the light was not functioning shortly after somebody's bicycle seat post and saddle came off the back of their RV on the highway and I ran directly over it (short of swerving and risking flipping myself at 60mph, I had no other choice.. ugh!). There is no visible damage underneath the trailer (or my Subaru), but I did hear it hit pretty hard so I'm wondering if the impact blew the bulb. All of the wires and connections in that circuit box at the tongue are intact. It sounds like more of a job than I'm able to do alone, but hopefully I know somebody who can work on it before I bring it back to the dealer for just that little thing. I'm assuming it's still fine to drive like that this weekend to Acadia NP for now as it's a non-essential light?!

@Michigan_Mike and @WilliamA , thank you as aways for your detailed and experienced advice! Such a wonderful resource... Greatly appreciated!