Options

Allen key size?

Hello everyone! First, I want to thank this community for contributing such a wealth of information. We were very close to purchasing an Airstream basecamp but based on the info from this site, decided on a 2020 T@G Boondock Light. Best decision ever as we love it.

I want to remove my Jenson head unit so that I can re-route my audio via aux cables instead of HDMI. I don’t seem to have the proper allen key to do this. It looks like they used the same screws in many other areas. Does anyone know what size key to use?

Comments

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

To remove the Jensen unit it is not an Allen wrench. It is a square head ( SQ1 ). The holes (4) are somewhat deep and an adapter on a driver set will likely be too large. You can use a small flat head which is small enough to fit across the square. I had to do this initially. The final solution I came across was a set of screwdriver bits and a handle from Home Depot. They were all long shaft and include 16 different bits In 8 removable shafts and a handle for less than $8.00. Good deal since you get all the common screwdriver needs, making your trailer tool chest more compact and light. Note the SQ1 is also used with the electrical plates and other accessories.

• Options
    CedCed Member Posts: 3

Thanks JamesDow. I will look for that set.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 636
    edited August 2019

I think the square head screw driver you need for most things is the #1 and #2.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

The square heads are also know as hendreson if memory is right. It is a canadian invension, and they are pretty much the only ones used in construction duty here in the country. Deck screws and framing, etc.

• Options
    DaveBDaveB Member Posts: 101

'Square' head is called Robertson and the one you are looking for is R1

Toronto, Ontario Canada
    2020 T@G Boondock Edge XL

• Options
    beakybeaky Member Posts: 283

SQ drivers come in 2 universal; sizes. I carry onboard a Trex set, an Allen set, and a #2 Sq driver.

• Options
    CedCed Member Posts: 3

Job complete. This was pretty easy after I found the correct driver. Thanks for all the help !!

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240
    edited September 2019

@DaveB said:
    'Square' head is called Robertson and the one you are looking for is R1

Lol. Absolutely! My mistake. Now I look stupid! :). But tye T@G use some R1 but R2 as well, depending where you are digging. I have nor seen the number R3 on any location.

• Options
    DaveBDaveB Member Posts: 101

No worries @LuckyJ I was surprised to see Robertson screws on the T@G since I was under the assumption that they were a Canadian only thing that never caught on anywhere else.

Toronto, Ontario Canada
    2020 T@G Boondock Edge XL

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517

I use to curse the screws but after a while and using the right bit they are actually a stroke of genius as you won’t strip them out if you are using the correct head. Gotta love them Canookians for sure! 👍🏻😀❤️

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    OutdoorEdOutdoorEd Member Posts: 110

@Michigan_Mike said:
    I use to curse the screws but after a while and using the right bit they are actually a stroke of genius as you won’t strip them out if you are using the correct head. Gotta love them Canookians for sure! 👍🏻😀❤️

When removing the microwave and adding cabinet doors to convert the space to storage, at first I didn't understand why in the world they used square head screws. I had never even heard of them. But before long I realized they are way superior to both flat- and philips heads.

So, cheers to our neighbors to the north for giving us Neil Young and square head screws!

Ed & Karen
    2017 T@G Max XL
    2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R

• Options
    McNutty195McNutty195 Member Posts: 45

Yeah I'm a huge supporter of pretty much anything that isn't a flat or phillips head screw. IMO flat heads suck and shouldn't be used on anything any more. Phillips isn't much better compared to the other options out there. Don't get me wrong, it is far superior to flat heads, but that's not saying much. Square head and even better, star head drives are the best thing that ever happened to screws. Enough of my rant haha.

@LuckyJ said:

Lol. Absolutely! My mistake. Now I look stupid! :). But tye T@G use some R1 but R2 as well, depending where you are digging. I have nor seen the number R3 on any location.

Don't quote me on this, but I think there is actually one place that has two R3 Screws. I believe the two screws holding the license plate in the license plate housing are actually R3, At the very least, I know they are bigger than the R1 and R2's that are every else. Not that it matters, just happen to remember from when I was fiddling with my license plate recently.

2018 T@G XL Outback edition
    TV: 2021 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition AWD
    Dayton, Ohio

• Options
    The_RiggerThe_Rigger Member Posts: 111

@OutdoorEd said:
    So, cheers to our neighbors to the north for giving us Neil Young and square head screws!

...And Joni Mitchell.
    ...And Rush.
    (especially Rush)

Dave in Michigan
    '21 T@G XL
    "If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

• Options
    zgfiredudezgfiredude Member Posts: 206

And Shania Twain. (especially Shania Twain!)

'21 T@G 5w Boondock, 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser B)

• Options
    OutdoorEdOutdoorEd Member Posts: 110

The world has lost a most talented brother from Canada, Gordon Lightfoot. If I had a list of my top 100 favorite songs, The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald would be on it.

Ed & Karen
    2017 T@G Max XL
    2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R