Propane quick connect and storage strut arm help

Dr_DoomDr_Doom Member Posts: 45
edited October 2020 in Modifications & Upgrades

Ok so we have had our Tag 6w out on a few trips now and we are slowly working on setting up all our gear and mods. Its going good so far. Im doing the BMV 712 and a PWN for the fan this week. I will make a thread with pictures of everything we have done when we are finished.

Two mods I need help with:

1. The storage strut arm.... Most people seem to use this Suspa 20". In the pictures is looks like the arm is kind of in the middle so it would be slightly in the way, and that it doesnt open very far.

I saw that someone had used a 23" arm and it solved both of those issues. I couldnt find the arm they used (they were in Canada). But I found a Suspa 26" arm that looks like it would work.

Is 26" too long, do you think this will work?

2. Propane quick disconnect.... I have a single camp burner that I would like to use on a table near the galley. I was thinking about just getting a propane valve splitter and a 12ft hose extension to run from the 20lb tank to the rear.

This would work fine, but I think I would rather have something more permanent. Has anyone ran lines along the frame and added a quick disconnect near the back of the trailer? I have never worked with propane line but it seems pretty straight forward.

(Title edited for search purposes.)

2020 Tag XL Boondock, 2015 Toyota 4Runner, Northern California

Comments

• JayJay Member Posts: 71
    edited May 2020

Hi Dr Doom, I am the one in Canada that used a 23" from Princess Auto, sorry it is a Canadian Company. The pressure is the big thing that you want to be close to the same. I used a 79lb one, the 26" should work if the lbs are low enough. Too high and you will struggle to close and not strong enough and it wont stay up. 87lbs should be ok, Hope this helps

• CampHubCampHub Member Posts: 113

@Dr_Doom I tried to have a remote gas connection for our plow disc cooker here is the thread https://teardrop-trailers.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/277/cabinet-and-galley-mods/p2. I failed terribly an wound up putting a tank splitter in. The splitter works just not very elegant.

All the calculations show it can’t work. There’s only one thing to do: make it work.

• ssimonsonssimonson Member Posts: 17
    edited May 2020

@Dr_Doom, I have done something different than a strut, I used a 6" or an 8" spring and two L brackets to hold the lid open. To close, push the spring and it collapses and the lid can be closed. Cheap, easy to install and it works. Best of luck.

• Dr_DoomDr_Doom Member Posts: 45
    edited May 2020

@Jay

your thread is where I saw the 23" arm. I could order it but the shipping kind of kills the deal.

I think the 26" arm will be the same concept as yours and just keep the mounting points further apart which should keep the arm even more out of the way. I have a 2" memory foam topper so it does have a little extra weight. hopefully the 87lb of force isn't too much.

This is the picture of your 23" arm. The blue line is where the 20" arm is located in the video. The red line is about where I think the 26" arm would be

I'm going to give this a try and report back how it works.

edited May 2020

@ssimonson said:
    @Dr_Doom, I have done something different than a strut, I used a 6" or an 8" spring and two L brackets to hold the lid open. To close, push the spring and it collapses and the lid can be closed. Cheap, easy to install and it works. Best of luck.

@ssimonson

for the gas strut I was referring to the under bed storage. I have a 2020 Tag Boondock, they come with a gas strut on the propane/battery storage.

@CampHub said:
    @Dr_Doom I tried to have a remote gas connection for our plow disc cooker here is the thread https://teardrop-trailers.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/277/cabinet-and-galley-mods/p2. I failed terribly an wound up putting a tank splitter in. The splitter works just not very elegant.

@CampHub
    I saw your post about the quick disconnect. I basically wanted to do the same thing but instead of tapping into the factory line, I want to add the splitter and run a dedicated line that ends in a shut off valve and a quick disconnect at the rear.

I think it will be much easier to just add the extension and not worry about the quick disconnect. The only draw back is it will waste propane when I disconnect the extension.

edited June 2020

@Dr_Doom, I might go that route at a later date as well. You will absolutely need a shutoff valve and be sure to use high pressure hoses. Keep in mind the pressure of a propane tank at 70º is 145psi. Good luck and look forward to how you make out.

EDIT: After thinking about this try to get the regulator for your single burner as close to the bottle as possible then run the hose to your quick disconnect lower pressure in the hose would be much safer.

All the calculations show it can’t work. There’s only one thing to do: make it work.

Dr. your locations on the strut seem like that should work. Remember you also have added weight with sheets, pillow and comforter so I'm sure the little extra lbs will be ok.
    I have the gas splitter at the front with an 8 foot extension on the splitter. Yes you do loose a little propane when disconnecting the BBQ or other things you may be connecting but is SO small. We used our trailer all last year for about 40 days, BBQ many times, disconnected many times, and only used $3 in propane. The guy actually laughed at us because we used so little. The extension has a screw on cap to trap the gas when you are not using the extension.

• DaveBDaveB Member Posts: 101

@Jay can you send me a link to what you used from Princess Auto. I'm also in Canada and have been pondering adding a quick connect fitting for the BBQ. And shopping at P-Auto will for sure be cheaper than an RV shop or Crappy Tire.

Toronto, Ontario Canada
    2020 T@G Boondock Edge XL

Quick question. What was the BTU on the burner for your wok? Did your quick disconnect work on its own just not enough pressure when used with the TAG stove? Or not enough pressure at all?

I ask because I only plan to use a single 15,000 BTU burner.

Today I called my local propane shop and they said that I should have plenty of BTUs left coming from the TAG regulator. They recommended tapping into the existing line instead of adding a splitter and extra line. Obviously it is the cheaper option, but they also said adding a splitter and extra lines can add more areas for leaks and issues.

I know tapping into the existing line limits what I can run, but we only need one extra burner on a table (gives us one more burner and extra space so the galley is so crowded). I do not need dual high pressure 80k BTU burners or a propane camp fire in the future.

Right now Im thinking about testing out adding a quick disconnect to the factory line.

Dr, my cooker is capable of 65,000 btu's. The regulator may be the issue on my TAG but I know when I did the quick disconnect it would barely light. Please let us know if you had better luck then I did.
    Your propane guy is correct according to the specs on the regulator. https://www.etrailer.com/Propane/JR-Products/37207-30365.html??feed=npn&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn_mdx6Xh6QIVEL7ACh2aewRsEAkYAyABEgKrtfD_BwE

I did my quick disconnect before the regulator so no loss of pressure. I use it for a portable BBQ and a portable Fire Ring with no issue and tons of heat to the above mentioned.
    No Leaks, never ran out of propane.

Did you make that adapter yourself? Is it just male and female QCC1 to 1/4 with a tee in the middle that has a 1/4 to 3/8 fitting for your BBQ line?

Bought it, yes, green goes to tank, Right is male that goes to T&G regulator, 6 oclock fitting goes to 8foot extension to BBQ or fire ring. Extension has a cap so it closes the loop when not connected to the BBQ.

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 622
    edited July 2020

Regarding the nuCamp installed low pressure quick disconnect LPG port at the galley, I have read that since the output is already regulated, that if you attach another appliance (stove, grill, etc.) you must remove the appliance regulator. Any experience running a grill off this line?

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

edited July 2020

Yes the regulator is on the wall right next to the propane tank.

I have a 2020, and I removed the propane shut off valve (which uses around 10w anytime the hatch is open) and added a quick disconnect in its place. I run a 10,000btu BBQ off of it. It works great, even while running the TAG burners and the BBQ on high. I did remove the regulator on the BBQ.

Good to know the Char Broil grill works with the quick connect. Do you know what model?

Anyone using the quick connect on a 2021 TaG? What appliance are you using - burner, grill, stove, fire pit and what model?