Options

Window air conditioner

How the air conditioner is set up in our T@G has always bugged me so on a whim I decided to try something. I screwed a piece of half inch aluminum angle stock to a 12 x 16 piece of half inch plywood and then screwed that to a 40 inch 2 by 6, hung that in the window and set the Danby on top. Not only does it fit, it's quieter, it's got to be more efficient, and I can leave it home if I won't need it. And best of all, it doesn't blow right in my face. Now that I know it can work, need to come up with a more sturdy yet portable mount, account for the condensate and seal the window. I plan to use the A/C cabinet space for our LiFePO4 conversion.

Comments

• Options
    HellFishHellFish Member Posts: 140

For all the hole drilling, deflector building, window/vent cracking that we struggle with to get acceptable performance out of the A/C (and still fail), your solution is really the best. The A/C unit sticking out the side of the camper bothers me though, so I haven't accepted my air conditioning defeat yet.

2014 T@G

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

I agree HellFish. Mine is working well now but it took a long time for the dealer to fix it. With all the dead space between the galley and the inside, it seems as if nuCamp could come up with a side mount solution similar to what they had in the 320.

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• Options
    tagurittagurit Member Posts: 179

Aesthetics may not be ideal but it's only there when parked and it's on the driver's side with the electric and water hookups so that doesn't bother me that much.

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

The Run-A-Way bare box trailer has it mounted in the front. Was my choice but was end run.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

Tom,

Can't speak to the efficiency of the A/C in a T@G but I stuffed my Danby from the T@G in our bedroom window and it cools the whole (small) upstairs of our house. I'd say that so far as problem solving goes, you're on the right road. Put it there and it will work as designed. It shouldn't be too hard to come up with some mounting bits for fast setup.

Now to convert the open cabinet into a wine rack....

But then you'll need a bathroom and a canape fridge and......

Well. Get to work. I'll just get my lawn chair and some popcorn....

😎

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

ClimateRight makes some nice units that cool and heat. I've seen these on teardrops that don't have factory air. However, you would need to cut a couple of holes in your T@G. I guess you could use a piece of plywood to insert in the side window then cut a couple holes in the plywood.

• Options

Was interested in the ClimateRight 2500 btu but all models seem to be out of stock everywhere, even the manufacturer. Already have the Danby and I believe I can get it to work like I want. Love the wine rack idea but already started the lithium install.

• Options

I do like your solution, however.

• Options

Not that anything can be done about it, but interesting none the less. While researching how to handle the condensate from the Danby when I set it in the window, I read in the FAQ section in the installation guide that the unit from the factory does not have a drain and is actually designed to use the condensate to cool some components of the system. If more water accumulates in the tray than it needs, it is supposed to just overflow out the back. However, when I pulled the unit, I noticed a 3/8" hole in the bottom and on closer inspection realized it had been drilled (and rather crudely I must say, it went all the way through the plastic fan mount). Also the unit is only held in place by two sheet metal screws through the base of the wooden cabinet into the bottom of the unit. Obviously the T@G designers couldn't have uncontrolled condensate inside the trailer so that's the reason for the hole, the fabricated drip tray and the drain hose exiting the bottom of the trailer. But it does make me wonder about the humidity problems folks have experienced and some past comments about condensate leaks.