Options

Nucamp’s solar option???

My wife and I are NEWBEZ as well and we just purchased a 2021 T@G XL that includes the solar option. I have not heard anything from anybody if this option is a good one and or how it works???

wondering??

Comments

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

Many of us tend to park our rigs in the shade in order to stay cool. If you do that, the panel wont function to full capacity.

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• Options
    DaveBDaveB Member Posts: 101

With no fridge for the2020 and up models, and now no tv for 2021, even in the shade the factory solar shoud be able to keep up with the draw. I have 2020 with factory solar and in partial shade never had any issues. The factory system is a Victron, and maybe not the best system out there, but its stillafairly decent system and with the app on your phone you can monitor everything and base your useage from that. So for me, I find it to be a very good system.

Toronto, Ontario Canada
    2020 T@G Boondock Edge XL

• Options
    beakybeaky Member Posts: 283

geez, yes, get solar, no brainer

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

No fridge, no TV. So is the battery is just for the LED lights and the Fan Vent?
    Is the 2021 planned with a stereo?

• Options
    rich67rich67 Member Posts: 165

@JamesDow said:
    No fridge, no TV. So is the battery is just for the LED lights and the Fan Vent?
    Is the 2021 planned with a stereo?

LED lights, fan, water pump, USB sockets and standard plugs for whatever you're using in there.

• Options
    poliverpoliver Member Posts: 31

Being as the Current models do not come with a tv or a fridge. I have had a fridge and TV added by my dealer. Thanks for the input.

• Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 193

Very few T@Gs have been sold with factory solar so you won’t get a lot of feedback about the setup. In general solar panels work well keeping the camper power going and if you don’t have a fridge or TV Battery should last indefinitely

2017 T@G Max

• Options
    Dr_DoomDr_Doom Member Posts: 45

I have a 2020 with factory solar. Like other have said, it is a Victron Smart Solar MPPT. It is bluetooth and you can connect with the app on your phone (code is 000000).

I have only been out on two trips so far. The first trip was 2 days partial sun, we left in the morning with 12.4v. The second trip we were under heavy tree cover so not much sun at all, we left with 12.2v. This was based off my multimeter.

Keep in mind we have the factory group 24 batter (75ah), a yeti, and the weather was cool so we did not use the fan much on the second trip. But the trailer is new to us so we were also testing out the lights and stereo a bit.

I just installed the Victron BMV 712 battery monitor, so now I will have a better idea in real time of what my battery is doing. I will take notes of how the solar/battery system does on my future trips.

Long story short: This isnt very scientific and I should have measured each morning and night to see the changes, but the solar does help charge the battery during the day.

2020 Tag XL Boondock, 2015 Toyota 4Runner, Northern California

• Options
    Fourman110Fourman110 Member Posts: 229
    edited June 2020

Cant talk to the factory option but I often don't know when I'll get time off and camping reservations are usually a week or two out, often without electric site options so solar or generator was a requirement. Started with a Harbor freight system just to test and liked it. It mostly kept up but I wanted to go to 200w to make sure. Ended up making a home made solar suitcase that I'm way overdue posting about. Just tested in the driveway so far but what a difference.

Make sure you increase your battery capacity (like w 2 6v batteries. No sense generating more power if you're not going to be able to store it.

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay