Options

Hitch Height - Boondock Lite

Hey Guys,

Does anyone happen to know the hitch height on a 2020 Boondock Lite? Can't seem to locate this info. Thx.

Comments

• Options
    DaveBDaveB Member Posts: 101

Top of hitch ball should be 22 inches, add any sag to that. In my case the car sags 1.5 inches with the tongue weight, so my ball height is at 24 inches, this puts the trailer pretty much level. Mine is a 2020 Boondock Edge XL. I always try to keep the tongue weight in the 170-180lbs range and the trailer handles perfectly with that I find. If you have a class I hitch you may have to be careful with cargo, the Boondocks are a little heavier and can quickly be loaded enough to exceed a class I rating.

Toronto, Ontario Canada
    2020 T@G Boondock Edge XL

• Options
    csonnicsonni Member Posts: 353
    edited February 2021

Are you sure the ball height should be 22 inches? I was told 21 inches on one of my posts for my 2020 Boondock Lite XL. I'm in the process of figuring out the best rise of ball mount to get. My TV receiver top (inside shank) is 13 inches above the ground with a full tank of gas and my weight standing on the back (14 and 1/2 inches with empty tank and no weight on bumper). The ball top is roughly 2 and 3/4 inches above to top shank. That would mean I need a ball mount with a 6 and 1/4 inch rise to keep er level at a a minimal full load.

We can't get any ball mounts here that fit my application so I need to get this right on the first try with an amazon order. One thing I know is that you don't want the trailer balancing with the bubble on the wrong side of the line. Better to have it a bit lower at the tongue end.

But the biggest issue for me right now is whether the ball height should be 21 or 22 inches.

• Options
    JohnnyLocoJohnnyLoco Member Posts: 198
    edited March 2021

So on a level surface measure the height of the front of the frame and back straight part of the frame and adjust the jack until measurements are equal then measure coupler to the center of the ball area or top if you want.

When I take it to places off pavement that have waves of uneven surface where the trailer is on one side of the hump and tow vehicle on the other it helps to have a higher ball height. Otherwise level or nose down works fine.

I have a Boondock with 205/75-15’s and I dropped my ball height to 20” on my car, 22” on my truck. Going from 235’s to the 205’s only reduced overall clearance by 3/4”.

There are many scenarios to consider so don’t be too picky. Like my truck sits high in the rear when empty and when loaded with crap, firewood, and ice chest it goes down a few inches.

“Level-ish” is the goal for me as too many variables move that ball up and down.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 636

I asked nuCamp about this in the Fall. They said the coupler height as measured to the top of the ball is 16” for the standard TaG and 21” for the TaG Boondock.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

The difference of 1 inch at the ball is like the difference between 2 horseflies, one fat and one thin, sitting on a railroad iron.

On some vehicles, an inch is the difference between a full and empty tank of gas, or a full vs empty water tank. In cold weather, your tow vehicles' suspension is much stiffer.

Tongue weight is the important number.

Uppie the hillie, downie the hillie, over the hillie. Hitch height is only important in a "range", not an "exact". The best tool for checking ball height is your eye. Hook up, step back and look at the rig, if it makes a more or less straight line, it's good.

You'll drive yourself to the loony bin trying to keep it exact.

Pay attention to the tongues weight. Don't get wrapped around the ball about its height. That'll change virtually time you move your rig.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    csonnicsonni Member Posts: 353
    edited March 2021

@WilliamA said:

The best tool for checking ball height is your eye. Hook up, step back and look at the rig, if it makes a more or less straight line, it's good.

I agree with your advice, except if your better half, like mine, who writes uphill all the time, what she sees as level may not work best with the trailer.