Options

Quick solar question

Dr_DoomDr_Doom Member Posts: 45

I have a 2020 TAG 6W with factory solar. It comes with the Victron 75/10 MPPT Controller, and I believe a 80w or 100w flex panel on the roof. I have also added the Victron BMV 712 Battery Monitor so I can monitor everything and it works well.

We exclusively boondock, and many times we are under trees or in the shade. I would like to add a solar connection port and a 100w portable panel for those situations.

I have replaced the AC with wooden shelves. I am currently adding a switch for the Jensen TV and 12v outlet, so I have access to all the wiring and the solar controller.

My questions:
I assume I need to connect the solar connection port directly to the Victron controller?
Can the 75/10 have two sets of panel wires connected to it?
Can the 75/10 handle the charge of two 100w panels?
Will 12AWG wire be enough from the connector to the controller? The wire port on the controller only seems like it can handle 1 wire, If I tap into the factory wire will this be fine? Or should I add a thicker gauge after the tap to the controller?

Thanks in advance.

2020 Tag XL Boondock, 2015 Toyota 4Runner, Northern California

Comments

• Options
    tagurittagurit Member Posts: 179

Not familiar with the connectors on the Victron so can't help there, Also don't know what connectors you have with the factory solar but you should be able to find an appropriate branch connectors to make the parallel connection. From the on-line manual, the unit will automatically limit input power to 145 watts at 12 volts. And for 10 amps DC, you can easily handle that with 12AWG for the short distance involved.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 635

Call PKYS - they sell Victron products and we purchased our BMV from them. They were very helpful. They may tell you that the 75/10 is not the best for 200 watts solar, but since your mounted panel will be under performing, it shouldn’t matter

410 280-2267

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

No, the 75/10 can not handle the charge of two 100w panels.
    I would think that a 10 Amp controller as the Victron 75/10 you mentioned would not be appropriate for the addition of more solar panels. If you have an existing 100 watt currently, that would leave room for around the addition of a 20 watt panel, or maybe 32 watt panel if you go by 80% efficiency output.
    I would suggest upgrading the controller to a 20 Amp. Then you could add a 100w portable panel. I see that the Victron 100/20 MPPT runs for about $130-$160.
    You could also purchase a Renogy 100 Watt foldable portable solar suitcase with a voyager 20A controller for around $260. If you are going to run 15 feet or more, I would suggest cable of 10AWG.
    If you got the appropriate controller with more solar panels, you should be able to use that controller and replace the Victron.
    You could also use a solar suitcase unit with a controller and go directly to the battery with it. You would then have two controllers.
    I would still suggest 10AWG wire (Renogy 15 foot $15) and remember security for the solar suitcase. I would suggest some cable and a lock. Not theft proof, only a deterrent.

• Options

Thanks, this is the info I was looking for. A few things...

I would prefer the system be permanent and unseen (like factory), but if the current system cant handle two panels then I would simply get the kit with a 2nd controller on the portable panels. The added cost is not much and I can easily add a solar connector to the battery box for a simple install. 15ft 10AWG sounds good to me, I'll make sure the SAE connector is the same gauge.

Replacing the current controller just for a cleaner install just isn't very cost effective.

Since the only time I would really need the portable panel is when the roof panel would be in the shade, would this make it ok to run off the 75/10 controller?

What do you think about adding a switch so I could use only one panel at a time?

• Options

If the 75/10 is not able to handle the second 100w panel then I will just hold off for now. I was simply wanting to add the connector while I had access to the wiring.

I was mostly planning for the future. We don't use much power (shorter trips and no frig) so our current system has been fine so far. If anything upgrading the Factory group 24 to a group 31 would be a more cost effective power upgrade. For now I was going to wait till the factory battier needs to be replaced.

• Options

Does your 2020 TAG 6W have a SAE input connector directly to the battery?

• Options

No. If I got the portable setup I would add one.

I actually plan on adding one anyways for my trickle charger so I can stop using the huge 30a cord and the converter

• Options
    poliverpoliver Member Posts: 31

I have the factory installed panels on my T@G and everything is automatic. It runs on solar when it can and switches to the battery after sunset. Works great and I’m happy I have it.

• Options
    82Aircooled82Aircooled Member Posts: 3

I have a 2021 T@G XL, it has a solar plug on the utility hopper on the front of the unit. Does anyone know if all of them shipped with a controller, if so which controller is it. And how does one access the controller. Also, can I just plug in a panel and giddy up?

• Options

I know of no T@G units without factory solar being shipped with a controller for solar panels. No you can not/should not just plug into the SAE port without a controller. The controller prevent the battery from overcharging. The controller controls the rate of the current and voltage being delivered to the battery. I would assume the the 2021 setup is the same as my 2018, in that the SAE plug wires simply go directly to the battery. Double check the polarity of the wires prior to connecting up to solar controller. I had to switch mine. If buying a controller, I would suggest one rated at 20A and one that is weatherproof.

• Options
    82Aircooled82Aircooled Member Posts: 3

Thanks JamesDow, that's what I figured, I went with a 15A MPPT controller, I don't have a fridge or TV and we are boondocking 90% of the time and can go for four days on the stock lead acid 64AH. No manual for this year so I just wanted to confirm before I install one.

• Options

Good evening,

I have a 2021 T@G XL with Victron factory solar system and have downloaded the Victron app and it tells me everything I need to know. Through Bluetooth it syncs to your system and supplies all information for you direct to your smartphone.

Very cool!!

• Options
    daveandcorlenedaveandcorlene Member Posts: 74

Hi poliver, is BlueBattery the name of the Victron app? Thank you.

2021 TAG XL Boondock
    Toyota Tacoma
    Evergreen State

• Options

Victron energy is the app

• Options
    daveandcorlenedaveandcorlene Member Posts: 74

Thank you poliver! Glad you are enjoying your new T@G XL!

2021 TAG XL Boondock
    Toyota Tacoma
    Evergreen State

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 635

Isn’t it Victron Connect?

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator