Solar Panel Size

Newbie with T@g...what's the best solar panel size to to keep battery charged using Norcold frig and water pump? Guessing 100w will cover our needs. Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• tagurittagurit Member Posts: 179

A 100 watt solar panel will give you about 5 amps on a sunny day, less when it's cloudy (and none at night). Your Norcold draws about 4 amps when running, you can probably use a 2 amp average with normal use. The Fantastic Fan can use over 3 amps on high and the rest of the draw (pump, lights, phone chargers use about an amp. With the 100 watt panel and sunny days you can expect to break about even.

• beakybeaky Member Posts: 283

100w Zamp fits on 1 side of the roof, We have 1 on each side

• Fourman110Fourman110 Member Posts: 229

I started with a 100w harbor freight kit just to see how well it would work and if we needed it. Turns out the answers are “OK” and “yes” for us. A lot of campsites in the region only have a small percent that are electric and with the last minute nature of our reservations we often didn’t have the juice that we HF unit helped but really didn’t keep up with our daily needs. I ran some calculations on what we would need and ended upgrading to two HSQT mono crystalline (more efficient) panels and a water resistant Renogy Voyager controller. Basically I made my own Solar Suitcase which I am way overdue with a write up.... So far we have just tested in the driveway but it seems to charge so much faster than the HF unit.

Don’t forget to increase your battery capacity (like two 6v golf cart batteries). Having more charging capacity without a place to store it won’t help....

“I'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay

• JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

I utilize a Renogy 100 watt monocrystalline foldable solar suitcase w/ 20 Amp Voyager controller. ($264.59) The unit weighs about 26 lbs and fits right behind my passenger seat in my 2012 Rav4. A 100 watt unit theoretically could produce 8.33 amps of power. The working calculation of that would be about 6.66 amps. The battery I currently utilize is a Interstate Marine/RV from CostCo ($78.99)
    To date I have never run out of power with my setup. I purchased an extra 15 feet of cable for the panels and do typically take the time to place them properly facing the sun throughout the day.
    My suggestion would be to start off your solar with 100 watts and see if that meets your needs. I would think that it would.
    If you you may be thinking of the Renogy brand, check prices on Amazon and then go directly to Renogy. The first unit I got from Amazon had a small rip in the suitcase fabric. Renogy would not honor the warranty and I had to return back to Amazon. Bought the exact same unit directly from Renogy at a slightly cheaper price, no shipping cost and arrived promptly in perfect condition. Lesson learned - always try direct.

I also have a small Baja 900 watt propane generator (Home Depot $229)
    It can charge the T@G and has enough power to run everything.
    I went with propane because of the weight (26 lbs.) and it does not require a gas can to be carried about. I refill my 1 lb. canisters for about $0.50 each. I bought an adapter and extension hose to hook up to the 20lb propane tank, but have never found the need. If the wife went out to the desert with me in the summer, it could power the AC easily for a long weekend.
    I would recommend an electrical adapter (pictured below) and a couple extension cords. No need for the thick 30 amp cord when the T@G does not need it.
    Have fun and many adventures!

ELECTRICAL ADAPER

GENERATOR

POWER METER

• cchalcchal Member Posts: 3

Thank you all! Went with Renogy 100w with Voyager controller...4th of July sale.

• JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

I use a cable with two locks an run through the handle. Easy and provides a little theft protection. Will not stop a real thief, but limits the opportunity.
    Enjoy.