Options

Canadian T@B/T@G (teardrop) Rally?

Hello All!

My name is Kyle (bramptontab) from the t@b forum. @Twojgrams recommended I post this over here for our T@g siblings.

Is there any interest in a teardrop rally near the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) for us tab and tag owners?

I live in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) and I know of an ideal location near to the city and countryside, so you would get the best of both worlds. Close to the border for our US friends and sort of central for Ontario and Quebec. Should I mention the US dollar goes a long way here in Canada?

I'm bit of a shoulder season camper and I think a September (2018) rally would work best with fall colours and all. Days are still warm, nights are cool and the summer crowds have departed.

I can work out details and pricing. Venue availability would be great (power and water hookups).

I am also looking at getting vendors (local artisans, breweries, cideries, community farm) and such from the surrounding area. There is also a space for meetings and cookups.

Let me know your thoughts!

2017 T@B S Max
2016 Toyota Venza 3.5V6
2012 ShihPoo White

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517

I believe that what is most important here is that you already know of an ideal spot top host your rally. Since this is less than a year away you also have time to get the word out too and create a successful event.

What I would recommend is that you ask for volunteers to help out, assemble a committee of friends and fellow T@B/T@G owners and come up with goals and tasks to get done. You will no doubt be the designated contact for your event and you will need things like:

• Location of campground
    • Link to the area for details
    • Amenities - water/electric/showers/lake access/nearby attractions/groceries/food/wine tasting/etc.
    • Nightly camp costs
    • Campground & site photos
    • Listing of your plans & itinerary for duration of event
    • Map to event & dates

You can also post your event details here on the T@G & T@B forum areas and we will be happy to announce it for you too. One thing to keep in mind too is that campsite availability and size of your event should all be your first considerations because when you have 50-60 trailers this is actually a pretty good showing, even though it may not seem so. You can also have some awards for lets say best campsite set-up, most miles traveled, etc. and normally there is a last night potluck style dinner so that everyone can get together and enjoy a nice meal together and these are fun. If it is a 3 or more day event you could also have a wine & cheese tasting party and ask participants to bring a small dish to pass and wine from their local area.

I've attended quite a few of these rallys and the above should give you food for thought and am sure that you can find 3-4 other folks to help out locally or even fellow Canadians as we do have members from Canada and there are other small teardrop groups who may also help you out. Since distance is an issue for a committee you could always communicate via email and create a Facebook page or something similar and communicate via a closed group setting.

Hope this helps!

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    bramptontabbramptontab Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2017

@Michigan_Mike Thanks for this!! I have already thought of many of the items you have mentioned. I am in the process of working out pricing first as a discount on camping would be nice. I have already contacted Central Counties tourism for connections to local vendors and they are on board to some degree. I will admit I have a connection to the venue so availability is not an issue. 50 trailers is my goal, more would be super.

I will have dates within the next week or so.

2017 T@B S Max
    2016 Toyota Venza 3.5V6
    2012 ShihPoo White

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 139

I would caution about the possibility of financial losses if you make the reservations for everyone. Inevitably, life gets in the way and there will be cancellations at the last moment and between now and the event.

If everyone is responsible for their own reservations, your financial investment is significantly lowered.

If your “connection to the venue” is one that gives you a financial incentive or gain, this would change a lot in how the venue is perceived, and whether the event can be advertised on places such as these two forums.

• Options
    bramptontabbramptontab Member Posts: 3

@verna, thanks for that. I will stay within forum rules. My end game is to hold an event celebrating our tiny trailers. I will not be receiving any financial gain or incentive.

2017 T@B S Max
    2016 Toyota Venza 3.5V6
    2012 ShihPoo White

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517

My suggestion would be to keep your first gathering small. You will learn from a rally and keeping it manageable and with an itinerary of sorts will help make things flow easily too. The gatherings are a great way to meet people, make new friends and create memories and I have never regretted going to rallys as they are always fun if the weather cooperates.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400