Stand Up Well & Bed Panel Mods

cabinetocabineto Member Posts: 2
edited July 2020 in Modifications & Upgrades

Nowadays, all the "big guys" have rooms that telescope out, so what about the little guy? I've made a telescoping unit for my Tag but it goes down instead of
out and allows me to stand up inside to dress or undress, to easily reach around the cabin or simply sit on the edge of the bed. I am thinking that this may minimize or eliminate the need for the small attachable tent that I have. To begin with however, I cut both bed panels into sections to make access easier. I used lodge pole 2x4's screwed from underneath to separate and support each section. I would equate these sections to drawers - one for underwear and socks, one for t-shirts, one for tools and so forth.

This first picture shows the divided panel with all sections in place.

This picture shows the section removed to expose a 7 inch deep cavity where I have cut away the floor. The bottom of this cavity is a panel that slides back underneath the camper. In the closed position the panel is locked and sealed with weather stripping.

The panel is locked in place by a pin found in the compartment immediately in front of the cavity.

The bottom panel part way open.

The bottom panel fully open. Note the weather stripping around the bottom of the cavity.
The well box that fits into the cavity. It has adjustable feet on the bottom in case the surface below the camper is uneven. The outer sides of the well box are stepped out so that it drops easily into the cavity until it is about an inch above the ground then the stepped upper section engages with the seal at the bottom of the cavity.
The well box installed. The entire install or uninstall takes less than a minute
Sitting on the edge of the bed with my feet in the well. The ceiling height on level ground is 67 inches. I am 5'10", so I am slightly stooped when standing however it is not uncomfortable and allows pretty much full standing activity.
However, I have made drive on blocks which would allow the well box to "telescope" in the cavity and drop another 3 inches, thus increasing ceiling height by 3 inches. The final picture shows the well box sitting in the cavity with the bottom panel closed and locked. this would be the configuration when underway. The entire install does not reduce ground clearance when underway.
A few notes regarding the fabrication. First, I had to move the pipe for the propane gas to the left side from the right side underneath the trailer; Second, the cavity size and location were dictated by the axle and the trailer square tubing frame although I believe that the location and size are pretty close to optimum even it other options were available.

Comments