Options

Camping with dogs (or any other critter)

A lot of us bring along our best friends camping and have lots of tips and tricks to keep the trip safe and fun for them.
Having tiny trailers seem to pose a few more challenges than say a 22 foot travel trailer.
We had a women come up to us saying when she saw us pull up and our 2 big pups jumped out of the car that she was laughing and wondering how we can possibly all fit. Then we put up the 10x10 and it became clear.

We basically got the 10x10 tent for the dogs, since it is completely enclosed, we actually do need to leave the door open so they can see us but it is a small concession to make for their comfort.

So what are some of your stories, experiences, helpful hints on traveling with dogs, or any other type of critter. (We have brought our cats with us in the past, but not with the T@G.

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517

I had traveled a lot with my small dog Mack prior to getting married but he has to stay home these days as we just don't have the room with two people. I think the biggest issue was making sure his paws were wiped off and that his feet were clean prior to getting into my teardrop trailers. And of course, if an animal gets ill while inside the trailer that presents some hurdles. Ask Verna!

No doubt, these are special moments having your pets along and it can present some challenges, but nonetheless can be accomplished! On a sad note, I was in Arizona last winter and one of our fellow camper's dogs got into some cholla cactus and was screaming out in pain. If you are in these environs it is always a good idea to keep your pet under control, free of cactus and especially away from rattle snakes as pets fall victims to the venomous bites more than you know.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 139
    edited December 2017

Always keep a can of pumpkin with you for the dog and diarrhea. A spoonful three times a day, then tapering down to two then one, then none. A bland diet during this time of boiled rice and boiled chicken is good. If not cleared upon three days, find a Vet. Pepto Bismol using a medicine dropper is good also, but the pumpkin is easier because they seem to like it.

If camping in the desert, keep a men’s 6-inch comb with you to remove burrs and Cholla from them. It keeps the spines out of your fingers and quickly removes those pesky sharp spines. Long nose pliers for the longer spines.

• Options
    2jgcampers2jgcampers Member Posts: 47

Our 2 have bad owners! We woke entire campgrounds from Oregon to Iowa every day at 0600! These guys get a whiff of a squirrel, a rabbit, another dog and there's no end of barking. Classes, 1:1 training, clickers, water spritzers, sit/treat distractions, nothing has worked. While we do not want to leave them home for a 2 month camping trip next summer, we don't want to impose on everyone else's peace and quiet. It's a dilemma.

Twojs&Guinness&OD

• Options
    MjLMjL Member Posts: 14

We would not know how to act without four leggeds with us. We for the last 6 years have had this devoted corgi mix with us. She is getting a little slower these days but loves to hike and paddle board, or maybe just be with us, but we make room for her inside the trailer. That means we have to watch for roadkill and cow pies. (What dog doesn't love to roll in an occasional meadow muffin?) The Pumpkin sounds like a good idea, we will add that to the groc. list. Barking dogs doesn't equal bad owners! It means the dogs are very expressive and have something to say! Things like HEY, DID YOU SEE THAT, THERE IS SOMEONE OUT THERE and so on. No real advise to give but knowing some dogs like that myself, I think finding the way to convince them that you know and have things under control might calm them down a little bit? It is a big job being a good Guard dog!

• Options

Maybe we can teach them to use their inside voices - no, wait, they only have outside voices! We'll keep working on it.

Twojs&Guinness&OD

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358

Great stuff. Wherever the dog it’s always wonderful.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options

Thanks @Zurdo, I think I'll try it in the living room since the 75# Standard goes after the postman every day between 9-10 am. So far he hasn't made it through the double paned windows but it's not for lack of trying! While the reviews are a mixed bag, it appears to work for some. And we'll continue with the clicker/treat whenever we see another dog out walking. We'll keep at it.

Twojs&Guinness&OD

• Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 193

We did a two week trip and used a small 2 person tent and put his bed in it. We leave him on his long leash a
    tni
    ght so he can come out if he wants. The fact that he can see the camper keeps him happy.

2017 T@G Max

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

We mostly travel with my 85 lbs alaskan malamuthe female.

She mostly sleep with us, but from time to time, she likes to get out and sleep outside. For any reason, under the regular width T@G or my other trailer is a reasuring spot for her, where she will go sleep, until she wants to come back in with us. I leave a leash attatch to the trailer so she will remain close to us. If something happen, we can quickly get to her by opening any of the doors. But she will react to other dogs ( in a bad way) if they come to close. But will stay calm in any other situation. She could also spend the night in the car with couple inches crack window. But we are not in the southern states where hot weather is the rule.

This is my third pesonal dog, in almost 25 years, and never had issues with any sickness. Maybe the malamuthe gene pool help with that. ;)