Tire & Wheel Removal - Where to Place Jack?

So, how do you all jack up the trailer to remove the tire & wheel assembly? Block of wood on a floor jack on the axle?

Comments

• beakybeaky Member Posts: 283

please, no wood blocks, very dangerous. just jack up the frame near the wheel

• JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 631

Chock the wheels.
    Lower the front tongue all the way with the tongue jack.
    Place a jack stand closely behind the wheel to the frame.
    Jack the tongue up with the tongue jack.

Wheel off the ground.

Note: this method places roughly about a third of the lifting weight on the tongue jack.
    From my research, the B.A.L. tongue jack is rated at 2,000 lbs.
    In an emergency, I would conside using the stablizer jack in place of a jack stand. This would be on a last resort basis. These stablizing jacks have a lower capacity (say 600 lbs.) and using the jack in this manner may stress the stablizer jack and or the trailer frame.
    Bottom line work safely with the expectations that any method can fail.

• normaandchrisnormaandchris Member Posts: 9

Thanks beaky. For the life of me I can't find the "recommended" way to do this (either in the trailer or T@G manuals...).

• ButchButch Member Posts: 14

Can you use the same process in your garage to lube the wheel bearings?

• zgfiredudezgfiredude Member Posts: 204

Yes you can use this procedure to lube the bearings.....I'd suggest one caution to the Nucamp video. The rear "stabilizer" is NOT intended to LIFT the camper, but simply to keep it from wiggling when camping. You can use it as they say if on relatively level ground and by lowering the front first. ONLY raise the tire off the ground just enough to swap the tire in an emergency. If you are able to use a jack stand instead of the stabilizer you should do so. And be sure to chock the other wheel so the camper doesn't move fore and aft. The stabilizer does not have very much lateral strength.

'21 T@G 5w Boondock, 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser B)

• JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 631

I chock the wheels, lower the front of my 2018 using the T@G tongue jack, place a jackstand on the frame as near as possible to the backside of the wheel, jack back up the front until the wheel is off the ground. (T@G is resting on tongue jack, jackstand, opposing wheel)

I would only us the stablizer in place of the jackstand in an emergency situation)