Options

2021 Tag XL BD with SmartSolar charge controller - location and display interpretation

CnCTaginCnCTagin Member Posts: 10
edited August 2020 in Battery/Electrical & Solar

Does anyone know where the MPPT controller for the solar panel would be?

Comments

• Options
    CnCTaginCnCTagin Member Posts: 10
    edited August 2020

We found the mAnual. We have a SmartSolar panel w/ mppt100/30 controller. We have no idea where it’s located. We downloaded the app.

The battery is a Cross Country DC 24 Marine battery G20 (Edited from a previous post - Moderator.)

We don’t understand it. Is it working?

We’ve been dry camping for 3 days and avoid using power until we understand.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 635
    edited August 2020

@CnCTagin - I think the factory solar is a 100 watt panel that under ideal conditions will output about 75 watts which provides 6 amps/hr. The controller is a Victron but the 100/30 is way more than you need - are you sure that is the installed controller? Please provide a picture of your battery label so we can help you understand your charging parameters that you need to enter into the controller. For now assume you have a deep cycle battery with about 60 AHs. (Edit: I looked up Cross Country batteries - I suspect they gave you a dual purpose/deep cycle battery with a Reserve Capacity of 120 minutes which is about 60 AH.)

Here is some info that you need to understand the Victron display:

A 100 watt panel under ideal conditions will generate 16 to 20 v. Although you have a 12 v battery, panels are designed to produce a higher voltage to compensate for less than ideal sun conditions. The controller regulates the voltage and prevents overcharging by closing the charging circuit when the battery voltage reaches a certain level. So, if the battery voltage is low the controller will deliver a higher voltage (Bulk charge) up to a pre-established set point (Absorption phase). During absorption the controller keeps the voltage at a relative constant. The battery becomes fully charged during this phase. Once the battery is fully charged, the controller reduces the voltage to prevent over charging and then just trickle charges the battery (Float phase). So, as your battery charges and goes through these phases you will see the solar and battery voltage change as well as the current which are the amps flowing into or out of the battery. If the battery current remains a “positive“ number then more amps are flowing into the battery than out of the battery. The current will become a “negative” number when the battery is discharging more amps relative to charging - like if you are running your fan, pump and lights at the same time (call this under “load”).

In general, 12 v batteries require about 14 - 14.5 volts to completely charge. See the battery state of charge chart below.

From your screenshot you have the readings from the regulation via the controller:

1. Although your realistic possible wattage is about 75 watts, your panels were only producing 5 watts - was it cloudy?
    2. the voltage out of the controller was in Bulk mode at 14.78 volts.
    3. Current is much more effected by the intensity of the sun and is only 0.3 amps. (Cloudy?)

The battery measurements are used by the controller to determine need for further charge.
    1. A voltage of 12.54 is not yet fully charged (see chart).
    2. A positive current of 0.3 amps shows that there are amps flowing into the battery.
    3. The identified charging phase is Bulk

Use the “gear” icon to input the battery parameters so your display numbers are specific to your battery.

Hope this helps!

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    rharmsrharms Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2020

Just purchased same trailer and wondered the same. . . . found a youtube video about a 2018 TAG solar controller and hope it's the same. We haven't picked trailer up our new trailer yet to try the Victron app but will. Hope it works.

Ruth/Waunakee WI2021 T@G XL BD
    2014 Hawk LQ, 2018 Winnebago Minnie TT

• Options
    rharmsrharms Member Posts: 4

Ruth/Waunakee WI2021 T@G XL BD
    2014 Hawk LQ, 2018 Winnebago Minnie TT

• Options

So, the actual Victron charge controller is located behind the television. Good to know if you need to troubleshoot the system.

• Options

Here is a YouTube video that helps to explain how to set up and read the Victron SmartSolar controller. It also includes the Victron Battery Monitor that are not included with the factory solar installs.
    https://youtu.be/ETfudTwzSH0

• Options
    SystemSystem Administrator Posts: 9
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Battery Drain.
  • Options
    beakybeaky Member Posts: 283

it goes behind the swing out TV

• Options
    csonnicsonni Member Posts: 353

So, by using the VictronConnect app on my iPhone, I can log into my solar panel stats? Nothing else needed?

• Options

Assuming you have the Victron charge controller, yes, the app gives you all the info you need about your solar array. The battery voltage is not the same as the reading from a shunted battery monitor, but it is pretty close.

• Options

@Sharon_is_SAM said:
    Assuming you have the Victron charge controller, yes, the app gives you all the info you need about your solar array. The battery voltage is not the same as the reading from a shunted battery monitor, but it is pretty close.

So, I do have the Victron Charge Controller. I logged into it today with the app. Can I rely on this to tell me the state of charge on my battery as well?

• Options

@csonni - the controller will give you a real time voltage reading from a battery that is not rested (under load from appliance use and added solar gain). Voltage is not the best measurement of battery health.

A shunted battery monitor will monitor state of charge, real time available amps, amp hours in/out, etc.. If you really plan to do a lot of boondocking, to better maintain your battery, it is best to install a shunted battery monitor and wire everything including your negative battery controller lead on the load side of the shunt.

https://sprintervanusa.com/2017/02/21/monitoring-battery-state-of-charge-soc/

• Options
    edited April 2021

If you only monitor voltage, the controller voltage reading only shows the actual batrery voltage at night when the solar panels are asleep. Otherwise they are adding a charge voltage and raise the voltage - not really reflecting true state of charge. Battery voltage is a constantly moving target.

• Options

Was just looking at the install process of the Victron BMV-700. For the T@G, where about would one mount the shunt? I'm assuming in the tongue box. What about the monitor display itself?