Options

2021 T@G XL Boondock - Brakes Shaking

I just drove around 1600 miles this past week (one round trip to mans and one round trip for a family emergency)

Throughout the week my brakes have been shaking more and more, from my experience with brakes it feels like my drums are warped (lots of shaking)

I have the Curt echo controller, I've adjusted the settings all over the place etc.

I've towed a lot of trailers and know how not to destroy brakes - gearing down etc.

Has anyone else dealt with this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    beakybeaky Member Posts: 283
  • Options
    WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 20

We have a 2018 Boondock XL.

Have you jacked up the trailer (on frame, not axle) and given the tires a good spin and felt for bearing play? On our trailer, fresh from the dealer, on one side the bearing nut was loose and there was considerable play. I had to pull things apart and adjust.

You could also check for brake adjustment and you might be able to detect warped drums if that’s the case.

Do you have sufficient tongue weight? I’ve seen trailers buck a lot if the tongue weight is too light. Nothing to do w brakes, but it might feel similar?

Also, I was surprised at how light my brake controller needed to be. I started out at 3.5 or 4.0 (too much), backed off to 0.5 and ended up at 1.0 or 1.5 if I feel the need for more.

Good luck!

• Options
    daveandcorlenedaveandcorlene Member Posts: 74

Great troubleshooting advice Wayne! thank you.

2021 TAG XL Boondock
    Toyota Tacoma
    Evergreen State

• Options
    phyter2008phyter2008 Member Posts: 4

@WayneW said:
    We have a 2018 Boondock XL.
    Have you jacked up the trailer (on frame, not axle) and given the tires a good spin and felt for bearing play? On our trailer, fresh from the dealer, on one side the bearing nut was loose and there was considerable play. I had to pull things apart and adjust.
    You could also check for brake adjustment and you might be able to detect warped drums if that’s the case.
    Do you have sufficient tongue weight? I’ve seen trailers buck a lot if the tongue weight is too light. Nothing to do w brakes, but it might feel similar?
    Also, I was surprised at how light my brake controller needed to be. I started out at 3.5 or 4.0 (too much), backed off to 0.5 and ended up at 1.0 or 1.5 if I feel the need for more.
    Good luck!

Thanks Wayne, definitely going to check this out. I planned to go ahead and jack it up and pull the drums anyway to get them turned if they're already warped. I'm certain it isn't the tongue weight though b/c it behaved very differently throughout pulling the last week.