Options

no “third brake light” on 5W T@G?

Watched quite a few walk around videos of the T@G before buying our 5W Boondock. It appears that nüCamp installs upper brake lights only on the XL models? I have a new 2021 5W, and it does not have any third brake lights installed. Appears this might be an oversight?

Comments

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

My 2019 5W doesnt have one.

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

My 2018 5 wide does not have a third brake light.
    Meets all U.S. regulations that I am aware of.

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 191
    edited November 2020

The xl has to by law...due to width of trailer..the tires sit outside the trailer..at least that's how it was explained to me.

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    Former owner of 2017 T@G MAX XL
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

80" in width is the change point that I am aware of.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Well, to me, this was an issue, but I wanted more than just a 3rd brake light. Wanted the flasher as well, since to me, all those lights were to close from the ground.

So here you go

@LuckyJ said:
    So, something I have always been scared of, is getting slammed in the back of the trailer, because of distracted drivers or a driver that did not see my trailer lights.

So, I wanted to do a clean and complete job, higher brake light, that also included flasher and driving/parking light. So I went a head and purchased something very similar to the OEM lower brake lights. Took me a while to install them, cause I new that I would need to do some digging in order to connect them.

1st, opening the upper fan acces on boths side, where the hole would be drill for the connector and them pass the cable toward the center to get acces to the ac lower plenum.

2nd, remove the TV and the panel (I still have the original configuration ot the behing the tv empty space. Almost did the mod, but ran out of time. and did the left and right cable junction and drop into the AC plenum.

3rd, remove the lower fan acces panel to drill the lower hole to take the cable to the light cable under the trailer near the frame to splice the wires.

4th, reinstall in reverse order, after sealing all the new holes, lights and cables pass and wire junctions.
    And I also reinstalled so reverse lights. Previous install needed some rework, and it was quicker to go a head woth 2 square LED light I had from an other project.

Let their be light!