Options

Winter bedding

Have a TAG boondock lite. Bed is 58 inhes wide. Approaching winter camping weather. Thinking about a down comforter. What size do you guys get? A twin is listed at 68 inches - would that be big enough or have ya’’ll gone with a full. Any recs on he the warmest down comforters?

Comments

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

I have a 5 Wide as well. We have the Grizzly by Black Pine 2-Person Sleeping Bag (out of stock now) purchased from Amazon. 90 x 65. Fits perfectly and is very comfortable and warm .

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• Options
    amylouiseamylouise Member Posts: 4

I just picked up my T@G XL last week! Starting to “customize” it... LOL this is an adventure. It wasn’t bad with no modifications the first night I slept in it (with just a down comforter) but it’s not really winter yet... So when I got home I added a down mattress cover that I already had, put that on top of the twin mattresses, and I’m going to pick up 1” XPS foam board insulation to cut to size for the under-platform cubby storage compartments to improve the R factor (dead air = cold).

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

We have on my side, a cheap Cabela's bag that I just toss every year or two, While a tiny thin compared to me, she has my old XL REI backpacking mummy bag. We also have two Hudson Bay wool XL Blankets. We have a full size thick memory foam topper. Very comfortable. We have pulled the topper out and will be trying our old Thermo Rest back packing mattresses. Looking for comfort and less bed making hassle. By the way, the Maltese has his own Hudson Bay puppy blanket and his own big people camp chair. First class teardrop calls for first class comfort and housekeeping.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

• Options
    evpeelingevpeeling Member Posts: 67

I have a Beddy's bedset on the way (All one piece comforter, fitted, and flat sheet) that I will use year round and will probably put my -10 degree bag inside of that for winter camper. The beddys are a little pricy but I hate making the bed so its worth it to me to be able to make the bed in 30 seconds

2020 Tag BD 5W, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, PA

• Options
    csonnicsonni Member Posts: 353

We’re considering a good electric blanket. Shouldn’t be too much wattage.

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 191

We had an XL and used a queen goose down duvet and cover...plenty warm..

2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    Former owner of 2017 T@G MAX XL
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder

• Options
    JohnnyLocoJohnnyLoco Member Posts: 198
    edited January 2021

Polartec sheets, blankets, and pillow cases with Mr Buddy attached to the back wall with the pilot running while we sleep. 350 watt ceramic heater and heating pad while plugged in.

• Options
    AustinHealeyAustinHealey Member Posts: 66

Could you post a pic or describe how you attached Mr Buddy to the back wall?

• Options
    edited January 2021

Back of the Mr Buddy has hangers for screws, put two screws in wall. Maybe a little eye screw with a piece of cord attached to the handle in the event you bump it off its hanger.

It also helps to plug the vents that ventilate the A/C

• Options

By the way, if you have an XL T@G, 2 Cabela’s Outfitter XL sleeping bags zipped together are the exact size of the bed and makes you forget about heat. We use the 0 degree versions.

• Options
    SpeckmanSpeckman Member Posts: 11

We were lucky to find a Travasak system. It has a summer side or flip to the winter side. The sheets Velcro inside the bedding. Easy bed making.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Hello had to pitch in on this.

Being from where the snow is born, (Estern Quebec), we did try some winter camping. We made it down to -22 C on 2 nights. I can say that I am an experience winter camper /sleeper. Did some winter tent camping ans also winter outside moonlight sleeping. But our experience with the T@G was not brutal, but some kind of wakeup call.

Here is why, I knew that a small spavpce heater would warm up the T@G with ease. But what I failes to realized is that the bottom blanket, tge surounding walls and the foot wall would remain cold, having no acces to inside heat, since the multiple down conforter we had would prevent tge heat from reaching those are. So, I would wake up every time my feet would touch the cold foot wall or the surounding are of the bedding.

So for me, conclusion of that, is winter camping in a T@G needs a mummy tyoe sleeping bag and /or maybe a matress heater cover.. but 1st personal preferenxe, a good sleeping bag. If inside temp is good, I will simply unzip the bag.

Have fun and remember to ventillate so that moisture geat out and do not freeze at the lower walls and corners inside the trailer. 😊

• Options

Anybody use reflectix under their mattress?

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

The matress is 2 " 9f foam, witch is more than you will get in any sleeping pad good enough for winter camping ( laying in tge snow). I guess the reflectix would be good. But the thing is realy that co pare to a bed in a room that as ambiant warm air all around it (since not touchling walls that have realy little insulation) tge matress area allong tnose walls will not warm up behond your body heat. So if you move, then you will touch a cold spot. I do think that a heating pad would work, but would also have limitations (like in my case, my foot would touch the galley wall and wake me up.

• Options
    danpdanp Member Posts: 44

We have a 20 degree double sleeping bag we rarely use because it is too warm. Going to Merchants Mill Pond (NC) soon and hoping to have some low 30's evenings to try it out.

• Options

Final arrangement: tried energex 2 inch foam memory pad from Walmart but could never fully get rid of the foam chemical smell. Bought a 2 inch thick down substitute mattress pad from Walmart that works great and does not smell. Ordered the Permabaffle Down warmer comforted from LL bean in a full size that fits the TAG queen bed perfect. Waiting on my 100 percent cotton sheets to come in and should be set. I used a sleeping bag in it all winter but got tired of zipping unzipping and pulling it up behind me after I slid in. i think this down comforter is gonna work better.