Options

DIY question

Just about to pick up my 2021 Tag Boondock and already have some MODs in mind. Question: I have several things I would like to attach to the outside of the camper (lightweight). Can you drill/bolt/screw right into the sides? Will it hold? What is behind the skin?

js

Comments

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

No you cant. Nor on the inside either unless you know exactly where the metal framing is. And if you do; you may drill through wiring. That is something best left to the factory. With that said there are several on this forum who have had success. I would start with the Modification string.

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• Options
    WayneWWayneW Member Posts: 20

Here is a description from the nucamp website:

Composite Sandwich Sidewall with Fiberglass Exterior: Serious wall construction for serious campers.

“nuCamp RV uses a Composite Sandwich Sidewall with Fiberglass Exterior in its campers for serious wall construction. These panels are constructed using a blend of polypropylene and fiberglass, creating an extremely strong and lightweight wall.”

So basically it’s fiberglass skin on the outside, foam core in the middle and the textured interior surface. Nothing there to hold a screw or bolt. I suppose you could drill all the way through and have a backing plate on the inside........ But I wouldn’t.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240
    edited February 2021

Like he said.

The walls are pretty much just a sandwich w/o any structure. Tge only structure is around the doors, windows and serounding of the wall. The only ladder structure is in tge roof.

Like he said, outside portion of the wall is fiberglass/aluminium layer, then white styrofoam then a layer of wood (luan) about 1/8 inch thick.

I also would not recomend hanging anything to the walls, but if you want, I would go with a sandwich reinforcment methode. Glue a 1/8 piece of aluminium on the outside, make your hole through the wall, add a glued reinforcment on the inside as well and go with a cariage bolt. The plates will enlarge the area where pressure is located and also reinforce the holes.

Just to show, this is the only place I found metal to screw a sturdy coat hook. The fist picture, all the way to the top of the wall. It is part of the aluminium structure. Nothing below that bow.

@LuckyJ said:
    Inside mods for towels and jacket.

Those small coat hangers are screwed in the aluminium frame that pass in the upper wall.
    One on each side, but thinking in adding some more.

Those for towels and what ever it could be used for. Even like a grab handle to get in and out.

@WayneW said:
    Here is a description from the nucamp website:
    Composite Sandwich Sidewall with Fiberglass Exterior: Serious wall construction for serious campers.
    “nuCamp RV uses a Composite Sandwich Sidewall with Fiberglass Exterior in its campers for serious wall construction. These panels are constructed using a blend of polypropylene and fiberglass, creating an extremely strong and lightweight wall.”
    So basically it’s fiberglass skin on the outside, foam core in the middle and the textured interior surface. Nothing there to hold a screw or bolt. I suppose you could drill all the way through and have a backing plate on the inside........ But I wouldn’t.