Options

20 Amp campsite

LauraCLauraC Member Posts: 23
edited November 2020 in Battery/Electrical & Solar

Here's a question for JamesDow ... or any other electrical expert out there! So, I am going to a T@G rally in July ... it will be hot. I don't have A/C in my 2015 T@G Basic. The campsite has a 20 Amp plug. First question, do I need a special adapter to go from my 30 Amp cord to the 20 Amp outlet or does the adapter I use to go from camper to house sufficient? (I suspect I need a special 30 amp to 20 amp adapter)
Second question, I am considering buying a little evap cooler that uses 50 watts of electricity. If I plug into the 20 amp electric outlet, I know I need to be careful not to overload. Since the Norcold uses 12 volt battery power, do you think the 20 Amp outlet will provide enough power for the Norcold, lights, water pump, Fantastic Fan and 50 watt evap cooler?

Comments

• Options

I just read a post from JamesDow - July 2019 - with a great chart regarding watt usage of the T@G appliances. Thanks James! He also mentioned using an Opolar 9" rechargeable fan and power brick to stay cool in 108 degree temps. That might be a better solution to my problem than the little evaporative cooler.

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

The adapter (T@G > House) you have will likely be sufficient. Use a good extension cord.(Doesn't have to be great)
    The 20 Amp receptacle should look as pictured below.
    I typically always used the 20 Amp plug. (Why bother with bulky black 30 Amp cord)
    Adding a 50-100 Watt Evaporator Cooler would be no issue with the power draw.
    You would have plenty of extra overhead with everything electrical on even all at once.
    Amps = Watts / Volts

Based on 120 Volts (Shorepower)
    Converter = 15 Watts
    NorCold = 48 W
    Fan-Tastic Fan (High) = 52 W
    Porch Light = 5 W
    Ceiling Light = 5 W
    Ceiling Light = 5 W
    Reading Light (White) = 2 W
    Reading Light (White) = 2 W
    TV = 8 W
    Radio = 19 W
    Water Pump = 8 W
    AC Fan & AC (High) = 440 W
    Other = 100 W
    709 Watts Total
    5.9 Amps = 709 W / 120 V

As for using a Fan (Battery/USB)
    I used one the last time I went to the desert (BLM land -October 99 degrees) (Battery & Solar)

I have a USB timer, ran from a power block, hung from the fan base using a bungee strung between top front storage cubbies and pointed it down at night.
    Worked just fine. Set timer for 4 hours each night.
    I could have just used the fan batteries, but was not sure how long they would last over three days.

Have Fun!

Typical Campsite Receptacle

Generic Adapters

Fan / USB Timer / Bungee

• Options

Thanks so much James, you're awesome! I am going to direct some of the other rally goers over here for your info. The campground rep told some folks that they couldn't run AC from the 20 Amp power outlet - but by your calculations it looks like they will be fine.

Yes, the 20 amp receptacle looks like the one in your photo. I'm still not sure about the adapter. I'm planning to use my existing cord so I won't need an extension cord. I will attach a photo of the one I use from camper to house.

Also, this is probably a dumb question - but doesn't your power block (to recharge USB) pull power and add to the watts used? I'm still torn over just using your fan idea or the little evaporative cooler.

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

Your adapter is basically just like the $12.99 one I use.
    I have multiple power blocks (10,000mAh each) so my USB charging is rotated between them.
    This past week, my wife and I discharged about thee of them charging up two phones, a Samsung Tablet and GoPro camera. (4 days Carlsbad State Beach)

As for the campground rep telling folks that they couldn't run AC from the 20 Amp power outlet. Maybe the rep does not know how little the T@G AC draws. He/She may also want to limit the overall draw on his electrical system.
    Just because a receptacle appears as 20 amp, it does not mean wires running to it are the proper size for the power draw over the entire campsite.
    The campsite rep may just want to keep their power bill down.

• Options
    edited November 2020

I think you meant "power bank" ... I get it now! Looks like you can buy one of those for about $15. I decided to ditch the evap cooler idea - I read a review about one of them leaking and ruining someone's hardwood floors and that put the kabosh on that idea. Plus, just sounds messy with the water supply, etc. So - I am going to try the USB fan and power bank idea. Thanks again!! And good points about the campground power ... I'm going to try to keep my usage low.

• Options

I just realized that my house outdoor plug is probably 20 amp - just like the receptacle at the campground. Which explains why the adapter would work either place and why 20 amps is plenty of power for Norcold, Fantastic Fan, etc. Maybe I will begin to understand electrical systems if I own my T@G long enough!!

• Options
    HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

I have my T@G plugged into the 120 inside my garage. I have run the AC and it works fine. I also have a big yellow 20 amp extension cord. I take no chances.

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe