Options

Storing outdoors....

Not sure yet if we'll actually get a shelter or cover for our T@G. What is the best way to store? Jacked up a bit with tires off the ground a bit? If off ground a bit, the wheels can be spun every so often to keep the grease from "settling."

Comments

• Options
    HellFishHellFish Member Posts: 140

Grease settling is not a concern. You can spin it once a week, or spin it when Spring arrives and you drive somewhere. Not an issue. Moisture is the issue...it is what kills RVs eventually. If there is a crack, no matter how small, water will find it. You could argue that the T@G is made to use outdoors, and you'd be right. But, eventually, it will leak and water will get in and do damage. Just a matter of time. This doesn't begin to address the issue of sun damage. I have a rack and an an arb awning on my T@G roof, so I put a pilates ball between them, draped a tarp over the roof (it doesn't sit directly on the roof...there is an air space between the roof and the tarp due to the rack, arb mount and ball). Then I put a T@B cover on my T@G, as the tarp only covers the top 1/3 of the T@G. With all that stuff on the roof, a T@G cover is too small, hence the T@B cover. The T@B cover isn't really waterproof...it more sheds water than stops it entirely. So, the tarp keeps water off the roof, the T@B cover sheds water and protects from the sun (to some extent), all the while air can ventilate the roof. I also hang a damprid bag inside the T@G to absorb moisture in the air. All I can do, and maybe overkill...time will tell. Long answer to a simple question...sry for that. BTW, I like the idea of jacking your T@G slightly so the weight is not on the tires...my tires are covered with tire covers, but otherwise just sit on concrete pavers.

2014 T@G

• Options
    csonnicsonni Member Posts: 353

Thanks for that input. I thought I read somewhere that the reason trailer wheel bearings need repacking compared to cars is that they sit idle more and moisture in the bearings can rust the spindle, etc. Great input though.

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

One rule of the day in years gone by- Grease bearings annually and inspects and replace every three years or so. That was in our big/vintage trailer days.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature