Options

Using an Inverter vs. Generator

OK. I am still learning here and would love some input on the options of use of a 2000W power inverter vs. a generator for boon docking. We are providing recharge power during the day with a 100W solar panel through a 20W controller, that works great for keeping the frig and fan going in our '17 T@G max. My thought is to run a second battery in parallel with my existing battery, turn the battery switch off and plug the inverter into the shore plug as one would do with a generator. I would like to know that we could have Air Conditioning if we are in a place without shore power and not needing to run it for more than a few minutes to cool the cabin down. I would appreciate any input anyone has if this has been done? Thanks. Peace.

Comments

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358

An inverter generator will power the AC. Although a standard generator and an inverter generator are different in how they produce alternating current, the power provided by either one is 120v and adequate to run your AC.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options
    MjLMjL Member Posts: 14

Thanks Tom, are you speaking of electric vs. gasoline? I would like to use a Pure Sine Wave electric inverter in place of a Fuel powered "generator", for size sake.

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

Please excuse my naivety, but what would be powering the inverter?

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options

No. It would run like this, the solar panel goes to the controller to charge the 2 deep cycle batteries and then the batteries to the electric inverter, (it then converts the 12v to 110v. The inverter has a house type wall plug that the shore power cord is plugged into then to the side of the trailer. Inverters are just much smaller than A gas generator and don't have to have gas cans and all that. Since they are both an investment, and I don't own either, I was curious if anyone has gone that route of electric

• Options
    TomDTomD Member Posts: 358
    edited November 2017

Sorry MjL..I thought you were talking about an inverter generator.The following link has some really good information on the power invertors and how to determine what size inverter would be necessary to run your air conditioner. It would appear you might need more than a 2000W invertor to run the AC appropriately. The inrush power to get the AC running is what makes a 2000w inverter a little problematic...http://www.donrowe.com/power-inverter-faq-a/258.htm#what_it_does.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• Options

Thanks Tom, that is some useful information. I will continue my search and hopefully report back with good news.

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517

@MjL said:
    No. It would run like this, the solar panel goes to the controller to charge the 2 deep cycle batteries and then the batteries to the electric inverter, (it then converts the 12v to 110v. The inverter has a house type wall plug that the shore power cord is plugged into then to the side of the trailer. Inverters are just much smaller than A gas generator and don't have to have gas cans and all that. Since they are both an investment, and I don't own either, I was curious if anyone has gone that route of electric

Good luck! But you won't be able to push the AC unit with the inverter and will need a trailer load of batteries to keep up with the demand created and that lil' ol' 100 watt panel will be sputtering.

Your dream is probably every one's ideal situation and it just isn't going to work, because your batteries don't have enough capacity to provide enough power to push an air conditioning unit. Heat is your worst enemy too and that 2K watt inverter will probably get hotter than a fire cracker and allow you to fry a few eggs on. Your best bet is to either find a nice shady park with an electric hook-up or buy a generator and mount a few Jerry cans to your trailer if you feel the need for AC.

I'm not meaning to burst your bubble here either, but a 2K watt inverter isn't intended for a start-up load like that and you'd need something like a 30-40' luxury coach and extra room for enough batteries and an array of solar panels to even begin to keep up with a small AC unit.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options

Ya. Thanks Mike, I am thinking about all of that and my gut says wait to invest in some of this until I can talk to some folks that have some years into it that might know. Here in the Rockies it is easy to find a place to cool off, for now, but we want to come explore your neck of the woods and down south and I wanted something for between places with power hook ups. This information helps with the planning. We will work it out and be Happy Campers as a result, I'm sure! Thanks again. Peace.

• Options
    BBsGarageBBsGarage Member Posts: 396

There's always the ole bucket of ice and a fan setup. :oB):D

Bill

2017 T@G Max XL, New Jersey.
    You can drive along 10,000 miles, and still stay where you are.

• Options
    ericmoorecoericmooreco Member Posts: 46

I've never used the AC when camping in the rockies, the fantastic fan is sufficient.

2015 T@G
    Colorado Springs

• Options

I agree Eric, there is plenty of relief in the mountains, but I was just planning for traveling to Florida and other southern states that might be a bit warmer. I do think the "Fantastic Fan" was well named! I am just thinking of being some place that wouldn't have a hook up and could also keep our weight and space lower.