Options

Trailer Tongue Jack Raise

New Discussion Title based off of "New Jack" discussion.
I went ahead and made a simple modification which raised and gave my tongue my wheel an extra inch of ground clearance. Total Cost <$15 Total Time <30 minutes

PROBLEM:
Tongue jack does not raise enough on irregular ground to remove wheel. Tongue jack post impacts ground when traversing uneven ground or driveways. My tow vehicle is a 2012 Toyota Rav4 4WD. Receiver Hitch Ball Mount Raised 3”

SOLUTION RESULTS:
Increases ground clearance of tongue jack wheel by one inch.

PARTS: (Home Depot)

• Chrome Steel Spacers 3/8” x 1” 2 @ $4.38 ea. = $8.76
  • Hex Bolt Zink 3/8” x 2”-16 3 @ .41 = $1.23
  • Flat Washer 3/8” 3 @ .17 = $.51
  • Nylon Lock Nuts 3/8”-16 1 @ 3pk 2 = $3.93
  • Total Modification = $14.43

PROCESS:
  1. Support tongue of trailer (Jack stand or hook up to tow vehicle)
  2. Remove three 3/8” bolts holding Trailer jack
  3. Lift jack and install spacers under jack platform
  4. Install new bolts with washers
  5. Install nylon lock nuts
  6. Remove trailer support

RESULTS:
My tongue wheel clearance now is 3 3/8”
This will eliminate the need to dig down below the tongue wheel to remove it when camping on uneven ground.
Trailer tongue jack is solid and has no movement.

DISCUSSION:
I consider less costly spacers, such as 1/4" Galvanized pipe couplers which would likely require the top and bottom surfaces to be refinished flat. Also considered using just washer.
The addition of the nylon lock nuts was to supplement the holding power of the bolts. The stock bolts thread into 3/16" plate, which does not afford a lot of bite for the threads. Using just 3/8" nuts would have been cheaper.

SECONDARY RESULTS:
This solution also minimizes my use of a PVC cap which I would place on the bottom of the jack stand after the wheel had been removed in order to protect the metal of the stand. Note: This solution involved a PVC coupling (2” x ½”) which I drilled a hole for the locking pin. To be inserted at the bottom of the post to minimize damage in the event it struck rocks or pavement.

PHOTOS:

PVC Post Protector

Comments