Options

Kidde Fire Extinguisher Recall - 11/02/17

nuCampnuCamp Moderator Posts: 34
edited November 2017 in Events & News

We are reaching out to inform you that there is a potential recall of the fire extinguisher in your camper. Walter Kidde (fire extinguisher manufacturer) issued a recall on 11/2/17, stating that the fire extinguisher can become clogged and fail to activate during a fire emergency. The fire extinguisher model number affected by this recall is 210D.

We advise that you check your unit to see if you have one of these fire extinguishers. It only applies to units built from this 03/01/2017 through 11/17/2017. If your unit has one of these fire extinguishers, reach out to Walter Kidde at 855-271-0773 or visit their website at www.kidde.com and they will replace the fire extinguisher for free.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact us.

Comments

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Should we also receive a notice from our dealer? Cause I did not receive anything yet.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 139

This is the notice from nüCamp. You must go to the Kidde website indicated to verify whether or not you have one of the affected units, communicate with a Kidde and then Kidde will take care of the replacement if it is one of the affected models.

• Options

Thank you Verna.

What I try to find out is also let say, I'm not on this forum, should I get a notice from the dealer who sold me my T@G last june. The question is also based on finding out how good my dealer is with after market. And how good the comunication line is between my dealer and nucamp.

Again, Thank you.

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 139

The dealer will not send you a notice, Lucky. This discussion is how nüCamp announces recalls.

Luckily, we’ve only had one nüCamp recall, one technical bulletin and this manufacturer recall in the 5 years I’ve been on these forums.

And you’re very welcome.

• Options

Ok, that gets me worry about the owners that do not come to this forum. This also tell me that I should not trust my dealer for any recals or warranty issues. I'm getting this right.

• Options
    BrianBrian Member Posts: 26

I suspect nüCamp obtains things like extinguishers from a variety of vendors who provide different brands. My T@G Max XL was built within the date range mentioned above, but came equipped with a First Alert extinguisher that is not part of the recall.

Brian & Lisa
    North Georgia
    2017 T@G Max XL / 2011 Kia Sorento

• Options

I know I will have to look to find out about it if I'm touch by this or not, but just an example, I have purchase other fire extinguisher from costco for my house, cabin and vehicules. I did get a letter from them that from the date or purchase, I might have a some defect fire.. That need to be verified.

So i would at least expect a letter from My dealer forwarded by NuCamp that my trailer have a possibly defective firee extinguisher. This is basic customer service, specialy since this is a safety issue. They should have a BOM about the component that came in the fab of each trailer, since some of those items do have a serial number.

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517
    edited December 2017

Great comment Luc and I did take the time to send a quick note down to the factory, asked them about this and received the following response back this afternoon:

_Yes sir...The Kidde recall only affected units that nüCamp Manufactured between April and November 2017.

• All dealers were notified.
    • All warranty registrations received were contacted via: 1. Email 2. and by phone

Obviously, a recall was also 4 filed with the NHSTA, and we did notify individuals via Facebook and additionally this information was posted on both nüCamp forum areas._

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options

Thank you Mike

I will of fur sure take a look at my FE and if I find out that it is part of the recall, I will get in touch with my dealer, to find out why I did not get any notice. And still deal with Kidde mfg company.

Again, thank you. Exactly the info I was looking for. :)

• Options
    edited December 2017

Ok, found out 2 things today, FE is not on the recall list, but I do have some at home that have a number that match, so you guys should also check them out. Anther thing I found out is that my dealer is closed for the winter season until the beginning of March. Hum.

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 517

@LuckyJ said:
    Ok, found out 2 things today, FE is not on the recall list, but I do have some at home that have a number that match, so you guys should also check them out. Anther thing I found out is that my dealer is closed for the winter season until the beginning of March. Hum.

Thanks for the heads up Luc!

And on a positive note you DID find out about the recall here and have helped others out with the additional information.

Your dealer is probably sipping pina-colada's down in Florida right now! =)B)

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

• Options
    nmmikenmmike Member Posts: 20

Just thinking out loud,,,
    It seems to me that dealers would not be the ones providing notifications of recalls, if it is similar to the auto industry. When I have received notifications on my Toyota recalls, they have come from the manufacturer, i.e. Toyota, and not my dealer.
    Therefore, I do not understand all of the dealer bashing, if it is not warranted?

My dealer was a small businessman located north of Austin, TX, and I just can't imagine that he or other small dealers have the resources necessary to track recalls for all items included in the manufacturer of the trailers they sell and then the resources to notify their customers. And then all of the costs would be passed on to,, guess who? The consumer.

Happy Holidays
    New Mexico Mike

• Options
    BobRBobR Member Posts: 17
    edited August 2018

FYI, as a former employee of a major automobile manufacturer I have had significant experience in the recall process. The manufacturer and individual customers (vehicle owners) report problems to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) which decides if the the manufacturer will be required to issue a recall. Sometimes manufacturers notify NHTSA that they will issue a voluntary recall. The dealers are under NO obligation to notify customers directly. It is the responsibility of the manufacturer. In the case of the Kidde fire extinguisher recall, Kidde is more than likely accountable to the Consumer Products Safety Board, not NHTSA, for the recall which is why you must deal directly with Kidde for the replacement, not NuCamp or your dealer. As a point of interest, I notified my selling dealer when I found out about the Kidde recall and found a recalled unit in my trailer. I am quite confident that they passed that information on to NuCamp who voluntarily sent notices via email and surface mail to registered owners of trailers/truck campers advising them of the Kidde recall and provided the information necessary to remedy the problem with the fire extingishers. The responsibility of the dealer is to complete repairs under any manufacturer/NHTSA initiated recall. The Kidde recall does not fall into this category as NuCamp provided consumers with the remedy information, which in this case should satisfy it's obligation to the NHTSA.

Bob Richert
    2018 T@G Outback
    2017 Jeep Rubicon
    Ranger the Golden Retriever