Options

Heater for cold camping

csonnicsonni Member Posts: 353
edited January 2021 in Battery/Electrical & Solar

We still have our original Pelonis Disc Furnace purchased in 1989 when they first came out. It still works like new. We'll be driving down to Corner Brook, Newfoundland to pick up our TaG which is being trucked there from Moncton, New Brunswick. It may be quite cold and we plan on sleeping in the TaG on the way back along with the Pelonis heater. It's variable heat and we're wondering if it's safe to use in a closed environment and how much it would drain the battery overnight. There are no frays in the wiring. Just you members here to see if you would use it for such, seeing that it is over 30 years old.

Comments

• Options
    rasras Member Posts: 173
    edited January 2021

It's a 115V heater. You can't run it off your battery unless you have an inverter, shore power or a generator. When it was built, there was a plate on it showing either current in Amps plus voltage (ex. 4.8A/115V) or a wattage (ex. 500W). Is that plate still there! If so, what does it say? And whats the rating on your inverter if you have one?

RV 2016 T@G 5W
    TV 2019 Outback or 2011 4Runner

• Options
    zgfiredudezgfiredude Member Posts: 205
    edited January 2021

And is this any better/more heat than the Crane heater that is already in the camper? Perhaps a down comforter and or some sleeping bags until you get home and get it all figured out?

Perhaps you could borrow a generator to take with you if you don't already have one?

'21 T@G 5w Boondock, 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser B)

• Options

@zgfiredude said:
    And is this any better/more heat than the Crane heater that is already in the camper?

Ours is a 2020. No heater equipped.

• Options
    edited January 2021

@ras said:
    It's a 115V heater. You can't run it off your battery unless you have an inverter, shore power or a generator. When it was built, there was a plate on it showing either current in Amps plus voltage (ex. 4.8A/115V) or a wattage (ex. 500W). Is that plate still there! If so, what does it say? And whats the rating on your inverter if you have one?

It shows 120V 60Hz and adjustable up to 1500W.

I'm confused. I thought the TaG had a built in inverter.How does one use a toaster or coffeemaker in the kitchen when boondocks without shore power or a generator? What can be plugged in to the outlets without shore power or a generator?

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 632

The TaGs are not built with installed inverters. The 120v outlets require shorepower or a generator. You may have confused it with the supplied “converter” that allows the installed 12v equipment to operate while on shorepower/generator power.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options

@csonni said:

How does one use a toaster or coffeemaker in the kitchen when boondocks without shore power or a generator? What can be plugged in to the outlets without shore power or a generator?

You don't. French Press or Pour Over Coffee made using hot water from the propane stove. We use a Pour Over because it's easier to clean than a French Press.

RV 2016 T@G 5W

• Options
    edited January 2021

Sharon states it well....I am in the same boat and researching how best to address this. We will need to think about electrical needs vs wants. Personally, I only need to see if I can get the heater to function on an as needed basis. My thinking is can I run the heater for an hour or two at the most, a bit before going to bed, and a bit early in the morning when waking up. I think the camper will "hold" heat well enough to get through the night. My concern is that an electric heater is a power hog, so I need to look at the needs carefully. I won't be doing a LOT of COLD weather camping, but will have some COOL weather...you are likely different. You may need to get more "amp hour" battery capacity by going with 2 6 volt batteries or a large capacity 12 volt, and the inverter, or of course a generator.

• Options

Kind of disappointing....I was a bit ignorant on this one. I wonder...do the TaBs have a built in inverter? So, what kind of inverter would be required and where about would one install it?

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 632

@csonni - the TaB 400 comes with a 1200 watt inverter. Anything that is heat producing is a big energy hog. The stock battery will not support the power needs of a heater. You may want to consider a diesel heater down the road. As for your trip to pick up your TaG, how about a hot water bag and a good sleeping bag? Better yet, a hotel!

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    edited January 2021

I think the disappointment is more with not having functioning outlets in the galley kitchen for a quick microwaved meal or pot of coffee. Even plugging in and charging up my laptop will require shore power. I think this issue will move us quicker to purchasing the Honda 2200. Does anyone have any links to wiring in an inverter for the TaG?

• Options
    edited January 2021

@Sharon_is_SAM said:
    @csonni - The stock battery will not support the power needs of a heater.

The heater we have starts at a low wattage of 300W. That would probably keep the bite of cold at bay. 1500w is on high.

• Options

I have an inverter to plug into a 12V socket that gives me 2 receptacles. But we'd rally like to wire one in (probably in the tongue box?) to the battery.

• Options

I likely will put one in the tongue box, just for the short wire run from the battery to the inverter. And then figure out exactly what to power off the inverter.

Microwave may or may not work off an inverter, would have to be in the 1500 watt range, and as for coffee, use the stove. It sounds like you are headed towards a generator sooner, and that gets you all your outlets and the microwave.

• Options
    edited January 2021

I'd still like to know how to win in an inverter to power everything. I've seen some pics of inverters in the tongue box wired up to the battery but then where does it go from there? As far as the coffee thing, we'd like to take our compact Keurig maker with us for a quick coffee....meaning the need for AC. Now, the Keurig maker we have is 550W. If we got a 1000W portable inverter to plug into the DC socket in the kitchen, wouldn't that suffice? What's the most wattage you should be pulling through those DC sockets?

• Options
    edited January 2021

Typically to a dedicated outlet or two. I do not know if you can take it to the breaker box and feed ALL the outlets or not. Perhaps with a good sized inverter you could, that's how it works in an RV or bigger travel trailer. @JamesDow any input here (no pun intended).

• Options

I'm not familiar with the wiring setup of the T@G. I wonder how you'd choose which outlets benefit from the inverter.

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271
    edited January 2021

Consider RV or state parks with plug in power, or hotel, until you get home. Keep her/ him locked to your tow vehicle. Have insurance. I would suggest getting a new small ceramic heater that can set in a cabinet at the foot. Good sleep bags and maybe a couple of good blankets. It gets colder than the dickens as you know.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

• Options
    edited January 2021

I've got a 2017 TAG. I think the wiring for the 12V plug in the galley is too small to drive a 550W Keurig. The inverter doesn't generate power it only converts it.
    550W and 12V is between 40 and 50 A. I suspect the fuse would blow immediately. A pour over coffee maker and a tea kettle is less than $40.

RV 2016 T@G 5W

• Options

I think we'll just fire up the generator when needed.

• Options

A list of what runs off of the battery would be helpful. What I understand, the water pump, ceiling fan, lights, TV and the 2 DC sockets. Anything I'm missing?

• Options
    JohnnyLocoJohnnyLoco Member Posts: 198

Interesting heater for sure.

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

To save battery we have learned thru experience, and the more experienced folks here.
    Make coffee on the trailers stove, turn the frig to just below 40, we do not use our sound system or the TV , or water pump, and only necessary minimal lighting, and the CPAP. That is if boondocking. Otherwise we let her rip.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

• Options

Yes to what you are saying there Tom.....and as I research more, it seems that I'll need to see IF and WHAT the need really is. Do I need to use the heater (for example) when only on battery power? If so, what are the ways to solve that....generator, additional A/H battery capacity, etc.

Learned or more accurately, finally understand...after more reading, the multitude of ways to use "power". I.E. a generator plugged into the "shore" power cord will work, but you could also run the generator output straight into the breaker panel, but would need to incorporate an automatic transfer switch into the equation. And then how do you utilize an inverter from the 12v supply, or do you need one?

Coming from larger RVs I had all of these things at my disposal, and took it for granted a bit......just need to re-learn the new reality of how we will use the T@G and address/evaluate those needs then.

I am "riding along" with @csonni here a bit as we are both brand new. I am trying to share my understanding of things as it parallels his journey, I hope he doesn't mind ;-)

• Options

@zgfiredude said:
    I hope he doesn't mind ;-)
    Not at all

• Options

Took our little Pelonis heater out to our TAG which we just got today and tried it on shore power. Heat up very nice.