Water Pump Left Running Dry 24 Hours

Did a bonehead thing and accidentally left my water pump running dry for 24 hours. I kept hearing the hum and could not figure out why the converter fan was running without a load. (Spoiler alert: The converter fan was not running)
Well, after about a month, I finally filled up the water tank and tested the pump with my fingers crossed that no damage resulted in the 24 hour period it was running dry.
Good news - no damage. It appears to function just as it should.

Comments

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311
    edited January 2021

That's pretty amazing. The pump is a diaphragm pump, not a vane pump but even so, that's pretty amazing. You might have used up one of your "get out of jail free" cards though...

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• beakybeaky Member Posts: 283

I've left it on , actually it was my wife, overnight. no proplems

• rasras Member Posts: 173

I suspect a vane pump would have failed because of the unlubricated friction between the vanes and their housing, but really don't see any reason a diaphragm pump would be damaged.

RV 2016 T@G 5W
    TV 2019 Outback or 2011 4Runner

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

The diaphragms will get plenty hot without a coolant running across them.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.