Generator

Here’s a question for you boondockers - anybody use a generator much? Too loud? Too much trouble? I have solar for the moderate months - it’s the winter cold months and that hot humid summer months that I need more heat or coolig than solar can provide. I not really a fan of camper ghetto’s - AKA RV park or state parks.

Comments

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311
    edited January 2021

I have been hauling my generator (Generac 2300) around for a couple of years now and rarely use it. Even the quietest generator is loud when you're away from everything. There's no getting around that. I use it during the day when folks don't mind so much. Most of its time has been spent jumping other people's dead batteries in their cars and trailers. I won't jump a car as long as I have the gennie along. Too much risk to my own car. Using the d/c (8 amp) output for jumping a car is also pretty fast too. I can usually get a person going in a few minutes.

That said, I really like the peace of mind it offers both on the road and at home. We have a forced air wood furnace at home and if the power goes off during a blizzard, we can keep the blowers going and stay warm for a long time if necessary. I like to think of it as a spare tire, but with added benefits...

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• HellFishHellFish Member Posts: 140

Bought a Honda gen when I got the T@G in 2014. I've used the generator only twice since. It is relatively quiet, but still noisy. I feel guilty being "that guy" who ruins the outdoor experience for others because I want to run this or that. I feel the same way about outdoor TVs, stereos, lights, flags, pink flamingos, and smoky camp fires. I'm saddened at how often folks say they want the outdoor experience and then ruin it for others.

2014 T@G

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

Well said. The few times I've run my gennie for 30 minutes or so, I've always asked those around if they minded. Seems like more often, it's the space shuttle sized units that need to run everything....just sayin'....

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• stevemilligan42stevemilligan42 Member Posts: 27

I have a propone conversation Honda 2200i and 100ft powercord. We usually camp near flowing creeks. You really can't hear it unless you listen for it.

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 622

Does the length of your power cord effect your voltage much?

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• rasras Member Posts: 173
    edited January 2021

The easy answer is yes but how much depends on the size of the wire in the power cord and the load.
    (****If you don't want to wade through all this, read the last two sentences)

Recommended maximum drop across the power cord is 5% at full load. With 50 ft of 10 GA wire and a 5 A load, you have only 0.3V drop across the cord and 119.7 V at the load. With the same cable, 10A load doubles the drop and reduces the voltage at the load to 119.4. Inconsequential. Double the cable to 100 ft doubles the drop again, now 118.8 to the load, also inconsequential.

With a 16 GA wire, the drop across 50 ft at 5A increases to 2.4 V. 100ft @ 10A = 9.6V and 110.4 at the load. 5% of 120V is 6V so 100ft of 16 GA is overloaded at 10A. If you put your hand on that 100ft 16 GA drop cord with a 10A load, you'd feel the heat in the cord as it tries to dissipate that lost energy. Houses have been set on fire by that heat. BTW, the 110V AC unit probably draws around 7.5A.

IMHO, If you're going to operate your generator more than 50 ft from your T@G, you need a 10 GA extension cord. Though 12 GA would probably work too (2 V drop delivers 118V for that length and load).

RV 2016 T@G 5W
    TV 2019 Outback or 2011 4Runner

• stevemilligan42stevemilligan42 Member Posts: 27

I use a 10 gauge cable. It is not light weight and takes some lugging to string out. LOL.

• LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

We carry a 2200 watts gene when we know we will be going in warm places. Use it to cool down tge trailer for like 30 minutess and help the batterie. But if we end up in a camp ground that as shore power, we will get shore insted of having to run the geni.

I am as much as possible the silent type of guy when camping.

• csonnicsonni Member Posts: 353

We'll be purchasing a Honda 2200 for our travels and local boondocking. There are plenty of places traveling out of Labrador where there will be no shore power and we would like use of more than just 12 volt power.

• zgfiredudezgfiredude Member Posts: 204

I contacted my favorite Honda Dealer (not the closest) about a Honda 2200i.

" We are out at the moment, but have an order of them on the way."
    "Oh, I see, how many are coming?"
    "55."
    "Holy Moly!"
    "We sell them as fast as we get them and have for the last couple of years."
    "Put me on the list, I'll take one as soon as they arrive."
    "Ok, you got it."

And this is in a community of only about 40,000 people. I was shocked!

'21 T@G 5w Boondock, 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser B)

• JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632
    edited February 2021

This it the Baja 700/900 propane generator I use.
    Been happy with it so far and meets all of my camping needs.
    Have a 5 foot hose extension, so I can run it off of my larger propane take (if needed) for an estimated 60 hours. I also refill my 1lb cans myself. Refills are easy and cost between $0.80 to $1.90 each, depending on bulk fuel costs. My experience has shown that 1lb tanks last about 1.5 hours.
    My propane generator is about half the weight (26lbs) of the Honda (46.5) and no smelly gas cans needed. I also do not experience a greater noise issue than with any other generator I have been around. (They all can be obnoxious)
    Since I have solar, the need for the generator is minimal. I usually do not take it with me. My camping is typically 80%+ off grid.
    I will take this summer on a 30+ day trip almost exclusively to run the air conditioner for the wife and dogs.
    Bought on sale for $299 and paid an extra $35 for a two year replacement insurance. Covered now through 6/2023.
    Granted the Honda provides a lot more power, but I find I do not have the need for the extra power and my knees, back and nose thank me in regards.

• LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240
    edited February 2021

@JamesDow

Great buy for your need!

Did you try it yet? I know that the number should add up, but curious how it is catching up starting the AC?

And I would just go with a word of caution about refiling a 1lbs bottle of propane, if you are talking about the disposable one. Cause they should not and are not made to be refiled. Even If I know it can be done.

Now, based on personal experience, they can leak even when new, kept one in a plastic bin in winter, and when I open up the bin again in the spring, guess what, it was very smelly. I was also using a propane blow torch, well, the one that was on the torch could not be removed, cause it was leaking when by it self.

So be very carefull. 😉

• JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

Yes I have used the generator and AC without issue. In my tests, I found the start up requirements actually go up increasingly some over cycles. My tests indicated maximum peak watts at 455. The Danby is rated 115 v @ 4.0A = 460 Watts.
    I attempted another test the other day, but because of the cooler temps the AC would not kick in to cool. Once it gets warmer, I will try again. Want to see how long the 1lb can will actually last running the AC.

As for refilling, I utilize Brass Sealed Protective Caps. I weigh each canister and note the amount and refill date on the cans. Do not plan on using the cans more than 6-8 times before retiring them. I have not had any issues with the main valve, but did experience one pressure relief valve (Schrader valve) leak on refilling. That one issue was corrected. I have not experienced any storage or in-use leaks yet, but am always on the watch.
    I also use the 1lb canisters with my Mr. Buddy heater. Like the generator, I seldom use.

• rich67rich67 Member Posts: 164

I recently picked up this Westinghouse genny. Love it. Fits right into the Boondock's front basket. The other day I ran it with the AC going, all the lights on, and fantastic fan on. No issues at all. I also use it out in the yard for my electric yard tools and it quite literally sips gas. Been using it for an hour continuous, and the gas level barely dropped in the tank. Quiet too. Not something I'd be cranking up when there are other people camping nearby, but boondocking out in the desert with no one around or in dense forest out by ourselves, I see no issues with noise. It was between this and the Honda, but I could not justify the additional 700 bucks for the Honda.

• HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

I've had Solar Panels and a Generator on my wish list for awhile. I was on the fence about the Generator but after Snovid21 hit Texas, I'm off the fence. You are correct rich67. I was looking at the Honda, but I can get the Westinghouse 2200i and 200W Renogy Suitcase for the same price as the Honda Generator. Done deal!

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• AustinHealeyAustinHealey Member Posts: 66

Decided on the Zamp 140 suitcase. Keeps my battery charged enough to run the norcold fridge and tv. Sitting in the misting rain all day today and battery is still at 12.3 volts. Depends on where u r. In the sunny south or west the 140 zamp suitcase will keep u charged. Of course if u want to use air conditioner or 110 heater u will have to have shore power or generator. My 65 yo arms can tote this suitcase solar ok. Any bigger would be a strain.

• Gerald98053Gerald98053 Member Posts: 25

I use a Wen 2000i generator. I wish it was dual power because I hate carrying gas, but it is super quiet and very handy. It is light enough to carry (I’m 65!) but will power my TAG or my bigger trailer and the 12v output is good for the “oops, my car battery died out” moment. Also I got pretty good at estimating how much gas to put in so it would run out just before the “no generators” hour at the campsite, so I don’t have to go out and turn it off.

Gerald
    Redmond, Washington
    Nissan Armada
    Nucamp T@G (2017) & Forest River Vibe 25RK (2021)

• csonnicsonni Member Posts: 353

Have any of you new Honda users found any use out of the Bluetooth capability? We can’t get them in Canada without paying a very high price. I like the option to shut off remotely and also the hour meter. Sure wish there was a fuel sensor.