Options

Gas & Water Storage

csonnicsonni Member Posts: 353
edited April 2021 in Products & Accessories

Been thinking about how to carry gas (red) and water (white) without leaking and fumes. I've heard of RotoPax before. They're pricey. I'm more concerned for good storage for gas as we'll want to definitely carry that for generator use and even long trips between stations, especially here in Labrador. Can anyone comment on what container they use that doesn't expand and spillover or create fumes?

https://rotopax.com

Comments

• Options
    zgfiredudezgfiredude Member Posts: 206

I have rotopax that I've had from motorcycle days. I'll use them I think on each side of the front box....utilizing the two "hoops" as the backrest so to speak. With extended center screws you can double stack the containers. I have not ever had a leak issue, just leave a little room for the fuel to expand in the summer.

'21 T@G 5w Boondock, 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser B)

• Options
    edited April 2021

@zgfiredude said:
    I'll use them I think on each side of the front box

What size would fit nicely in the sides of the tray? Have you placed them there yet? I'm thinking 2 gallon might be too big? How would 1 gallon fit? Would be nice to have them snug. I wonder,,,can anyone measure those 2 side portions?

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

I've read different opinions about rotopax on the offroading forums but I'm in love with mine. I have both water and fuel rotopax in a couple different sizes. As stated above (and with ANY liquid container) leave plenty of room for expansion. I leave double the marked expansion volume.

The exact dimensions for their containers are listed on their website.

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options

Expansion room sure cuts down on the 1 gallon volume.

• Options

It is necessary. If not, they will bulge and vent from the increased volume and gasses. If volume is that big a concern, get two or a two gallon rotopax. And the advice is universal, not just with rotopax.

• Options
    edited January 2021

Oh yes, I know it's necessary. I've hauled plenty of gas in jugs and know what expansion is. Now, with water, I wouldn't think expansion room is really required, is it? Or maybe not as much.

• Options

Water not so much, unless there is freezing possibility.....water expands when frozen, I mention this because of where you live!

• Options
    rich67rich67 Member Posts: 165

I ordered a Rotopax 2.5 Fuelpax along with a flat mount bracket to attach to my roof rack on my Jeep (I have square bars there). I also plan on getting another 2.5 and bracket for the round bars on my Tag roof rack. Those, coupled with the possibility to add a spare tire mount and carry two other 2-3 gallon Rotopax, I figure I would have plenty of fuel and/or water for some time dry camping.

• Options

Those Fuelpax are a bit less durable. Some say they're not made for stacking but apparently that's not true.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

I also have 3 or 4 rotopax in tge 1.5 gallon size if memory is correct. I have had an experience were one expanded big time. So much that it ruptured just under the handle.

For me, it'is like love/hate relation with the rotopax. They are nice square shape, and the mounting system is nice. But at tge same time, you waste so much capacity with that center hole.

So i will use them for motorcycle extendend range like a trip to Labrador 😉 (this is when I got my first one) or small engins fuel reserve. But not for a vehicule. 1 gallon will not get you very far.on my next rrip with the jeep and the T@G to NL, I will carry 2x 20 litres septer.

But again, I do not regret purchasing them.

• Options

The gas I would carry is strictly for generator use, although, if I ran out of gas with my TV, I would most definitely use it. Lucky J, I can’t help but wonder where you’re living.

• Options

Well, two locations.

Les Escoumins on the hupper north shore of tge St-Laurence River (near Tadoussac) and I have a cabin in Petite-Riviere-St-Francois in Charkevoix ( think le Massif ski resort).
    But we also have a fishing cabin on route 389 just south of Manic 5.

Made it all tge way north of Churchill falls ( Orma lake road) and also all tge way to Esker on the Esker Road a few years back.

Last spring plan was to do the translab all tge way to the rock and back by NS. But as you know, the covid as cut us short but I also join the Coast Guard, so my schedule was a bit modified. But covid border was the biggest obstacle.

Someday, we will drive that way for sure! 😎

• Options
    edited January 2021

@LuckyJ said:
    Someday, we will drive that way for sure! 😎

Yes, we're familiar with most all those spots you've mentioned. We've done our share of quick stops to sleep along the way including Manic 5, Gagnon, etc. Charlevoix is a beautiful area. Would love to spend more time there other than passing through. I assume you pull your Tag with you on all your excursions?

• Options

Yep, mostly all travel, but I still want to keep a more offroad version.

So I have a plan to built a small expedition trailer from my former jeep YJ tub and a RTT. Something that I will not worry to much about srcatching.

Already have the RTT from before the T@G. 😁

But the T@G probably has more than 25 000km on it yet. (Florida Tenesse, Natashquan, Gaspesia, Cape breton Island) and many more local trips. We love it. 😎