Options

Mexican Paint Can light bulb heater experiment

JohnnyLocoJohnnyLoco Member Posts: 198

I’m heading to the mountains in a few weeks and I’m trying something new for the “take the edge off” heater. I’m going to use my ecoflow 1300 with an in-can-descent light bulb inside a vented paint can as constant heat with a ceramic heater on a timer.

I’m trying to get away from any propane or flame inside.

T@G SE XL

I’ll let y’all know how it works.

Comments

• Options
    beakybeaky Member Posts: 283

we slept comfortably last week in N AZ in 23 degree temp with a couple blankets

• Options
    edited January 2021

Yeah, we have never had a problem. One thing that gets overlooked by many is covering the side ac vents and the big vent on the bottom. You can modify those styrofoam faucet covers or whatever and just put duct tape over the bottom vent.

“The edge off” concept is where I can keep drinking water and such inside without it freezing overnight. And keep warm air flowing up and out to keep things dry.

Is also a plus when the wife and I uncover and kneel to use are separate pee bottles. I had a toilet seat on 3/4” plywood with a giant funnel running into a container I devised that hooked to the back wall with the front support going down between the mattresses but just isn’t needed. We also have the small PahaQue side tent with toilet.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Bring a picture back as well. I can read what you are writing, but can not figure out what it is!
    Thank you!

• Options
    edited January 2021

I’m changing my route because the paint cans seem to have a coating in them. I ordered a dog heater classic.

https://akomapetproducts.com/product/hound-heater-classic/

I’m going to try it like it sits but can take the element out and wire in a bulb socket. If and when I go the socket route, I’m going to first try a reptile heater bulb.

The box itself opens easy, the right size, vented, has mount holes, and is steel. I think its a better choice already.

So basically, its about the box first for me. I can even stick a lasko “my heat” in there as last resort. The intention isn’t for powerful heat. I’ve actually used a candle before and it warmed things up.

• Options

M. Loco, I did not see how you were planing on power your heating set-up? Are you gonna have shore power, generator or battery banks?

• Options
    edited January 2021

EcoFlow Delta1300 when not plugged in to a site.

I can power anything but the low slow heat option gives me options to stretch through sleep hours. I have used Mr Buddy with pilot which is ok just trying to get rid of flame. I have a 400 watt ceramic that I run off shore power whether the shore cable is plugged into a Bestek inverter off my vehicle battery with motor running or “real” power. I run the ceramic for only an hour or so in the morning if powering from vehicle. I can plug shore power into the EcoDelta but no reason too. I’m a redundancy freak. I have no reservations about running my vehicle all day powering my inverter, still more convenient and quieter than a Honda 2200.

The ecoflodelta is inside the back of the camper so I’m capturing all the heat it produces too. I have a T@G SE so my back wall doesn’t go to the ceiling, its basically a shelf and air flows.

So many ways to skin a cat.

• Options

Ok, I saw about the Ecoflow Delta, but did not know what is was. How many nights do you think you will get out of it?

I was gona suggest a single uco candle lantern, but since you realy wants to get rid of any flames.

Let us know how it turn out. 😊

• Options
    edited January 2021

Every night is the goal. A UCO beeswax is what I started with then I had to ask myself, why not just a regular beeswax candle in a can sans springs and junk. It worked but I think spending thousands on lithium, solar panels, generators, mr buddies, and such is cheaper than beeswax in the long run with less soot.

• Options

Hey, the best solution is the one we like.

You and only you knows how long and often you need your set-up.

And btw, I do own a couple of the uco but have not used them in a great while. Not that I don't like them more than I do not need them.

We like sleeping in the cold. Will even sleep on the cabin porch futron in quebec winter. In our case, the heat would only be morning or geting in besd moment, anything else would be sleepi g i the cold. 😎

I realized tgat you have not tell me how many night you expect to get out of your ecoflow and how you plan on recharging it.

Have fun and again, let us know how it turns out. 😊

• Options
    edited January 2021

I retired at 40 after over twenty years in the military many years ago. Outdoors somewhere is our life. The Ecoflow makes things easier so far.

I expect the ecoflo to last me (capacity wise) as long as I need it whenever I use it. I can’t really put a finite answer on an infinite question. I can recharge with solar, generator, and even put a Bob Marley shirt and a Beenie on and recharge it at one of them fu-fu coffee shops in an hour or so.

“Best solution is the one we like” is about right.

• Options

Great! And btw, thank you for your service! 😊

• Options
    edited January 2021

Appreciate it. We did consider a Goal Zero 6000 but that thing is heavy and takes too long to charge.

Managing power gives me something to do.

• Options
    LokiLoki Member Posts: 1

Oye JohnnyLoco. That toilet seat setup sounds genius. Been contemplating a setup like that for the wife and I. We got a little tent outside too, but I would love to have an indoor option. Our bladders aren't what they used to be.

• Options
    edited January 2021

My intention was only for pee. I’d make sure there is a foot on the front support post so it doesn’t damage floor.

This is the funnel I bought I believe.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CO6Q50W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Options