Options

Heater

I'm investigating the purchase of a used TAG. I hope to use 4 seasons (live in N. Michigan so can get cold). Not overly concerned about freezing fresh water line as I have other sources if need be. But I do desire heating the interior. It appears the older models do not have a heater. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

WilliamA has provided you with his mod of incorporated electric furnace, he also has one that is very nice with a new install of a diesel heater.

But if you want it simple and have acces to electricity, a simple small space heater is plenty, but for sleeping, I woukd suggeat sleeping bags. Not that the trailer will not get toasty, but the lower walls and the foot wall will remain cold if air can not circulate because of blankets touching tha walls.

An other option if no electricity would be a small propane little body. No matter what you use, you would have to secure them so they do not fall and also keep a ventilation going, so that humidity from body and breathing can get out, cause it could freeze in the at the bottome of the walls where heat do not reach.

A heating sleeping pad could help, but the walls will still remain cold. So if you touch them for long enough, it could wake you up at night.

I live i eastern Quebec, so if you know Michigan winter, then you have a small idea what a real winter is! 😉

• Options
    evpeelingevpeeling Member Posts: 67
    edited February 2021

@LuckyJ I learned the hard way just how much moisture is produced from breathing at night. Didn't have the camper vented and woke up after a -6 degree (f) night to ice on practically every surface. Not fun thawing that out..

2020 Tag BD 5W, 2018 RAV4 Adventure, PA

• Options
    JohnnyLocoJohnnyLoco Member Posts: 198
    edited February 2021

I haven’t mounted the doghouse heater yet but the reading says 110 watts on the Delta1300 and 12hrs of heat.

The heat it produces has blown me away compared to a 200 watt ceramic. I’d say it feels more like 500 watts or better. Plus I get to keep any heat produced by the ecoflow.

Again, my goal was to take the edge off, dry it up a bit, and keep air moving up and out. As much heat as the unit is producing I might even put it on a timer..

So many ways to skin a cat.

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

Out of curiosity, I just ran a short test of a little electric Honeywell heater I recently received. Unit is rated 170W / 250W. (uses single speed fan - 5" x 4" x 7.75")
    Test ran from shore power. Could have easily ran from my propane generator (now $329).
    My test (250W) indicated the interior T@G temperature raised 8 degrees in 17 minutes.
    I feel confident the the 170W setting would have worked equally as well, although taking a little longer.
    Not as great of a boondocking option as my little buddy heater, but takes a lot less space.
    Kind of indicates to me that the current stock electric heater installed is overkill for the small space of the T@G.
    I plan on constructing a small wood stand that could go anyplace on the headboard of my 2018. Even directly under the stargazing window, the heat rise is not that significant and poses no issues in my mind. I will likely use it rarely and locate it on one side where my wife is.
    As a solo camper, the only time I have found the need for heat is in the morning. Running my Little Buddy for 20 minutes and the T@G is warm enough for my liking.
    My cold camping is usually desert (December - February) southern California. (Not Wisconsin brutal)

• Options
    beakybeaky Member Posts: 283

the Little Buddy propane is perfect, simply heat up the cabin with ventilation before you go to bed. shut it off when you climb in and you will be sound asleep before the cabin cools off https://www.sportsmans.com/camping-gear-supplies/camp-comfort/heaters/mr-heater-little-buddy-heater/p/1264887?channel=shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQiAyJOBBhDCARIsAJG2h5cP7N9jR_HJOpn-oeHlltqsX6iL2pcZoZYwejlIfS-AmRcuj7iuRrIaAgrLEALw_wcB