How to live in Wi.

Thought for the day:

It's -26 f.

Wisconsinites get insomnia by being too cold to sleep, but too warm to break the seal to get another blanket. The nights are long....

Just sayin'.....

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
2017 T@G XL
Boyceville, Wi.

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 622

How about an electric blanket @WilliamA?

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

@Sharon_is_SAM said:
    How about an electric blanket @WilliamA?

Only one? We have both an electric blanket and a heated mattress pad!
    Our house in the winter, looked at in the infrared spectrum from space, looks like the heat signature of Chicago.

When I got up this morning at 5, it was 54 degrees in the kitchen, usually the warmest room in the house.

You don't have to be stupid to live here, but it's easier.....

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

Well, thatโ€™s too cold! Do you heat with wood, furnace?

Yes. We have a forced-air wood furnace in the garage that heats our house.

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Fourman110Fourman110 Member Posts: 229

I always figured the Old Fashioneds helped.....

โ€œI'm T@G-ing Out"
    Jay

• LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Hey, it is the best time of the year to hear the cold snow cracking under you feet when you take a walk! ๐Ÿ˜Ž

It's been to long since we got that kind of weather up here. The St-Laurence river is bearly frezzing right now. To warm. Temp would need to be at least below 2 F for ice to really start forming.

• beakybeaky Member Posts: 283

78 every day here, heading to Kofa Wildlife Preserve for some deep desert dispersed camping. Its always amazing to tow 30 miles down a dirt road and meet a couple 30' Airstreams sitting out there.

Indeed. It's always a humbling experience for me to get out in the desert on a "manly" adventure only to find some folks sitting outside a 50 foot motorhome watching sports on the tube... But then we all define our adventures (and our daring) based upon what's right for us. Me... I like the road less traveled but appreciate the time spent in prep so as not to sweat also getting back to the road more traveled.

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

-21 F this morning, so warmer than yesterday by 8 degrees. Not much wind though so it FEELS warmer.

Meh.... It's what we got....

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

@WilliamA - that looks like the beast of a boiler in my grade school basement! Maybe a humidifier will make it feel warmer๐Ÿ˜‚
    How much wood do you burn in a season?

Depends. This year looks to be about 4-5 cords. Highest was 10 but I didn't then know how to fire it very well.

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• TomDTomD Member Posts: 358
    edited February 2021

Awesome!!! I love the clothing. I was always told that itโ€™s not the cold but how your dress deals with the cold. California clueless.

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

• TomDTomD Member Posts: 358

Today...

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

edited February 2021

@beaky said:
    78 every day here.......

Na, this is not good for snow. I kind of get to soft.........and disaper. ๐Ÿ˜ญ

Did i say I like snow! ๐Ÿ˜Ž

@TomD said:
    Today...

Nice pic, were is all tge snow! ๐Ÿ˜‰

@WilliamA said:
    -21 F this morning, so warmer than yesterday by 8 degrees. Not much wind though so it FEELS warmer.
    Meh.... It's what we got....
    WilliamA

Wow, it is a beast! Does it radiate enough heat to warm up tge garage? And I tought tgat bears were slepping this time of year! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Just hit 6 degrees ABOVE zero! Can't talk now. Gotta beat the crowd to the beach......

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

Bunch of tough families out there. Feeling sorry for the shock Texas is in right now. They could in no way have been prepared for this winter. Then there is Arizona where in the summer seniors die from the 120 degree heat. I asked my sister what they do there. Oh we go for a walk in the mall or go to a movie. This is after many years of Class A RV travel. So far the Puget Sound country has been tolerable for us.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

• rasras Member Posts: 173

Texas, like many another state controlled by a particular political party, has opted out of many federal programs that would require them to spend more money to serve or protect their citizens. OSHA and the electrical grid are two that come to mind. I'm certain there are others. The chickens have come home to roost.

RV 2016 T@G 5W
    TV 2019 Outback or 2011 4Runner

• HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

I am one of those Texans without electricity for 53 hours. OSHA has nothing to do with it and the managers of the grid failed the state. Texas receives 25% of its electricity from wind and solar. The wind turbines froze and the solar panels were covered in ice and snow. When you hear "generators were out" they are referring to those two sources. Understand what you are talking about before you post.

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• HellFishHellFish Member Posts: 140

I think we've gone off topic a bit (Texas power). Let's keep it polite and about camping, RV's, etc.

2014 T@G

• HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

We did use some of the equipment from the RV. :)

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

Many years back, a very bad ice strom situation happen in the province of quebec in the dead of winter, follwed buy weeks of very cold temperature. Think like -5 F for weeks. Yes, we are used to winter, but w/o electricity in what was calle the ice triangle, that was a uge safety problems. And yep, we had co2 poisoning with propane bbq inside houses, all generators were back order in the entire province, farmers wornout their tractor running pto generators 24/7 for weeks for their farms.

One good idea came from tge mayor of a small town that used to work for a railway company, and rented a diesel electric locomotive that was derailed in the center od if little comunity, and hooked up to a small grid so he could give shelter to an aray of comunity buildings open to publics.

What a clever idea! A diesel locomotive would be a pretty robust generator!

I'm keeping an eye on the Texas power outage stories with great sympathy. Hope you guys are doing what ya need. If it were me, I'd consider shutting off the water, draining the lines and just get outta town. Cold is miserable, wherever you live. You can get good at it, as we have up here, but I don't think you ever get used to it.

There have been some news stories about what happened and why, but at the end of the day folks at the end of the wire will be the ones "taking it in the knees".

We up here are crawling out if the cold pocket. Nighttime lows are forecasted to be above zero within a couple of days. That'll be the first time since the 3rd if Feb.

Be safe and huddle....

WilliamA

2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.