Solar Panel Question

Hi there,
I'm hoping somebody might be able to help me with a solar panel question. I reached out to Renogy but haven't gotten a reply.

I have a Renogy 100 watt eclipse monocrystaline solar suitcase and a 2020 Nucamp T@G. The solar panel has the MC4 connectors as well as the alligator clips to connect directly to the battery. So far I've only used the alligator clips for hookup - been using it for about a year and it works great, but I'd rather not have to go that route since there's a quick-connect port on the T@G

I purchased a MC4 to SAE adapter (T@G has SAE port on the side of the trailer tongue box) but the cable isn't long enough to reach anywhere useful. I'm interested in purchasing an extension cable with MC4 on both ends so I have a bit more range with the panel.

So my 2 questions are:
1) The renogy website gives me the option of 10AWG and 12AWG. What does this mean and how do I know which is right for my setup?
2) Do I need to purchase 2 cables (one for the positive line and one for the negative)?
Here's the link to the extension cables I'm looking at: https://www.renogy.com/solar-panel-extension-cable-with-male-to-female-solar-connectors/

Thanks in advance!

2018 Mazda CX-5
2020 T@G 5w
Arlington, VA

Comments

• rasras Member Posts: 173

10 AWG cable is rated to carry 20A of current. 12AWG is rated for 15A of current. The suitcase is rated for 20A so technically you need 10 AWG. But, you're only going to draw 20A of current when your battery is very deleted, you've got a lot of 12V stuff running and the panels are in full sunlight, If your wallet and your psyche can stand it, get the 10 GA; But I bet the 12 GA would work just fine.

I'm sure each extension cable will have two wires in it; one for the positive connection and one for the negative. Just buy one of the length you need.

RV 2016 T@G 5W
    TV 2019 Outback or 2011 4Runner

• nichutchy4nichutchy4 Member Posts: 15

Thanks so much for your thoughtful response. I really appreciate it!

2018 Mazda CX-5
    2020 T@G 5w
    Arlington, VA

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 622

@nichutchy4 - we did the same thing. Ordered 30 feet of 10 gauge x 2 from Renogy as our controller was not mounted on the suitcase. A couple of years later we ended up replacing the wiring with marine cable. Much more flexible, easier to roll up. Not difficult to put the MC4 connectors together, just get a couple extra just in case. A crimping tool helps.

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

This is what I am using with my Renogy 100 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Foldable Solar Suitcase w/Voyager.
    Just remember you will need two 15Ft Extension Cables.
    Also know that the frames of the solar suitcase can get very hot in the direct siu. Especially desert sun. I use gloves of rags sometimes when I reposition mine.
    I seem to get the necessary amount of power to my battery.
    Just now switched from a wet cell to a 12V 100AH Smart Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery and Monitoring Screen for Smart Lithium Battery.
    Will be interested to see the improvements.

I've got a solar array on my lake cabin that uses SAE connectors only. When I got my Renogy suitcase, I cut the MC4 connectors of the Renogy cable and spliced in an SAE cable I already owned. I had to reverse the cable colors to get the correct polarity. If you stick with Renogy accessories, you won't have to worry about it.

RV 2016 T@G 5W

• TAGFloridaSolarTAGFloridaSolar Member Posts: 2

@ras said:
    10 AWG cable is rated to carry 20A of current. 12AWG is rated for 15A of current. The suitcase is rated for 20A so technically you need 10 AWG. But, you're only going to draw 20A of current when your battery is very deleted, you've got a lot of 12V stuff running and the panels are in full sunlight, If your wallet and your psyche can stand it, get the 10 GA; But I bet the 12 GA would work just fine.

12 AWG Copper is actually rated for 20, 25, or 30A depending on the insulation temperature rating.

10AWG Copper is rated for 30, 35, or 40A depending on the insulation temperature rating.

These are National Electrical Code ampacities. However, when you are talking about PV source and output circuits, the minimum wire ampacity needs to be 1.56 times the maximum circuit current, which is typically the short circuit ampacity of the solar panels adjusted for minimum operating temperature.

In this case, #12 AWG would probably be more than sufficient, but #10 AWG (or larger) is the industry standard for home run cabling.

@TAGFloridaSolar said:

@ras said:

12 AWG Copper is actually rated for 20, 25, or 30A depending on the insulation temperature rating.

10AWG Copper is rated for 30, 35, or 40A depending on the insulation temperature rating.

These are National Electrical Code ampacities. However, when you are talking about PV source and output circuits, the minimum wire ampacity needs to be 1.56 times the maximum circuit current, which is typically the short circuit ampacity of the solar panels adjusted for minimum operating temperature.

In this case, #12 AWG would probably be more than sufficient, but #10 AWG (or larger) is the industry standard for home run cabling

I think he agreed with me...

RV 2016 T@G 5W