CO Detector (Carbon monoxide)

hugheshughes Member Posts: 3
edited June 2021 in Newbie 101 Tips

Hi! Our CO Detector needs to be replaced. First, should we stick with First Alert and second can we mount one with velcro in a different location than where it is now. It seems it could deafen me in my sleep if it were to go off where it is now. Thanks.

(Title edited for search purposes.)

Comments

• zgfiredudezgfiredude Member Posts: 204

Yes, you can choose any brand. And theories differ, but Carbon Monoxide is minutely lighter than air, so it "should" rise.....but with the air movement in such a small space it likely would just mix with the air. Carbon Monoxide is a byproduct of incomplete combustion.....so unless you have a fuel burning heater inside, the only likely source of CO will be from the kitchen stove top (or possibly from a running vehicle nearby if the doors or windows are open).

Way more info than you probably wanted, but as a former Fire Marshal and Fire Fighter.....sometimes I can't help myself!!! LOL.

I'd fundamentally agree that you probably don't want it near your head.

FYI, a smoke alarm in 3 beeps and a pause, repeat........where a CO detector is 4 beeps and a pause.

See, I can't stop! :o

'21 T@G 5w Boondock, 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser B)

• knocknocknocknoc Member Posts: 1

What about the combo units (both CO and Smoke?

• LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Hum. Do they exist?
    If so why not. Just get a battery operated one.

• JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

Yes they exist. Costco. On sale through 7/25/21.

• TomDTomD Member Posts: 358

Just a point of conversation. Has anyone known of a death or situation that has occurred in a TearDrop camper that involved smoke or carbon monoxide? I have a LG Silver Shadow and all the safety features are there. I am wondering if there is any data driven data available. I know the codes require this stuff. Just wondering?

Tom
    Aptos, California
    2015 LG Silver Shadow
    2012 Ford Edge Sport TV

It's not likely that you'll get someone to make a statement like "take it out, there is no need" in today's world.

I will say that I took mine out. Others may feel differently.

I took it out as it's in a silly place, and was in my way when sleeping. I then chose not to put it back in and have more holes in the walls. My personal choice.

edited June 2021

I do see some occasion that they coukd be needed. Electrical fire, when you see how it is done, it makes you wonder, galley fire if you forget someting behind going to bed, if you sleep close to somebody of you own camp fire, our co or smoke detectore once started because of that, if no more air would have come in and we would have been sleeping, we might not have woke up.

Point of order, it's CO (carbon Mon-oxide) not CO2 (cardon di-oxide). Likely it was your smoke detector that went off in that circumstance.

It's all good, do what makes you comfortable.

@zgfiredude said:
    Point of order, it's CO (carbon Mon-oxide) not CO2 (cardon di-oxide). Likely it was your smoke detector that went off in that circumstance.

It's all good, do what makes you comfortable.

Correction made, you were right, brain bubble when I wrote, but still same result, co detector might have worked, fire generate co. 🤔

@hughes said:
    Hi! Our CO2 Detector needs to be replaced. First, should we stick with First Alert and second can we mount one with velcro in a different location than where it is now. It seems it could deafen me in my sleep if it were to go off where it is now. Thanks.

Like was mentionned, you do not have a CO2 detector, but a CO detector and a smoke detector in the T@G.

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Administrator Posts: 517

I’m guessing that their inclusion is no doubt an industry standard and relates to confined space incidents and standards. Years ago my mother was overcome by carbon monoxide in one of their travel trailers via a faulty furnace in the trailer. People do strange things and in an effort to keep small units without furnaces warm, have used small propane heating devices to provide heat. I read one time where a guy was asphyxiated when he brought a small hibachi unit into a van and was found dead the next day. You do need to be very careful and avoid putting yourself at risk inside these small trailers.

Michigan Mike
    Linden, Mi
    2019 T@B 400

Many years ago, the province of quebec was caught in an ice storm that put most of us in a many weeks blackout in the middle of winter. (Many main transport line were crushed under the ice weight,

Well, guess how many propane bbq made it into houses, and just imagine how many carbone poisoning incident we got.

Even a candle in a close environnement can be an isue.