Options

Sway bar or no sway bar

TfishTfish Member Posts: 1

Greeting! I will be picking up my new 2021 T@G XL boondock next week. I will be using a Toyota Tacoma TRD to tow it. I am hoping to take it down Forestry roads and do some disperse camping. River access too. Do I really need a sway bar? I am also considering the lock-n-roll system. This first trip going to keep the off the beaten path light. I would like to see how it tows before making the decision.

Thanks for any input.

Comments

• Options
    zgfiredudezgfiredude Member Posts: 205

Sway bar as in on the Tacoma? Or sway control hitch?

The TRD likely has a sway bar already, and if you to a brake controller so your trailer brakes will work via the 7 pin wiring harness, then I don't think you'll need a sway control hitch.

'21 T@G 5w Boondock, 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser B)

• Options
    McNutty195McNutty195 Member Posts: 45

We tow our 2018 XL Boondock (outback) with a 2018 Honda CRV AWD. I'd say we are straddling the line a bit on tongue and towing weight, but It handles it fine. Have never had a situation that I didn't feel comfortable with towing it over the 10,300+ miles that we have towed it so far. Almost 6,000 of that was a road trip from Ohio to Olympic National Park in Washington and back again. I've run rough dirt roads with it a couple times as well.

Not going to pretend that I've done overlanding or any of that crazy stuff some people here do, but I have been off the beaten path with it and have been perfectly fine.

Enough about me, I can't believe you will ever have any kind of sway issue with a Tacoma as your TV. Presuming you aren't doing extremely questionable things with how you load it or modify it down the road of course. I'd definitely skip the sway bar.

I don't know much about the lock-n-roll system, but from what I've seen they seem very nice. I'd say that is worth it if you think you will need it, and I'm sure you will know the answer to that question yourself.

Welcome to the community and enjoy your new T@G!

2018 T@G XL Outback edition
    TV: 2021 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition AWD
    Dayton, Ohio

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

I run a hitch that is similar to a lock and roll and so far no mather witch TV I have used for it, 2005 unlimited TJ wrangler (its a 2 door long wheel base) or à nissan X-trail (pre rogue) I have never used a sway controled unit with our T@G outback.

As long as you watch your tongue weight, you will be fine. Even more if you plan to travel where you need articulation.

• Options
    TfishTfish Member Posts: 1

Thank you! I am excited to be a part of the T@G community! I have been looking at these for about 5 years. I will for go the sway bar for now.

Thanks for the input!