Options

PahaQue Side tent, Just say no

JohnnyLocoJohnnyLoco Member Posts: 198
edited March 2021 in Camping & Travel

This thing is great when inside a garage or completely still weather. I have the 5x7 T@G version. I have a modification in mind that would fix the weak portal to gutter draw string for good but I grow tired of modifying a T@G and its shortcomings already, maybe later.

Add any weather and this PahaQue 5X7 TRAILER SIDE TENT/SCREENROOM sucks the big one !

That dang flap that stretches over the top even when taut makes horrendous flapping sounds in wind, provides no side protection for the portal so the portal WILL blow loose NO MATTER WHAT !

Some rain will infiltration will happen because its a SCREEN ROOM FIRST and the end just has ties instead of zippering.

I used it on a recent run, WEATHER hit, it SUCKS !

Comments

• Options
    danpdanp Member Posts: 44

Maybe I got lucky. I ordered one from the teardrop shop and about a week later I was notified they were out of stock and I got a refund. I have an REI Alcove shelter with optional side walls and working on ways to make that work.

• Options
    FroggerFrogger Member Posts: 156

Already have one lol, did ok last year in calm conditions, will take an extra shelter just in case...

• Options
    edited March 2021

Unfortunately because of that portal its the best option but “conditions” are many times other than optimal.

I’m going to fabricate the portal anchor fix because the theory is sound and when working makes a very useful room.

The other drawback is not every site is very flat next to a trailer.

One thing that I did do that worked darn good is I went to Lowes in the matt department and bought this 4x6 THICK rubber matt with carpet on one side...That thing was GREAT !

I also found that a Mr Buddy heater on pilot light alone will heat the tent in 18 degree weather.

• Options
    zgfiredudezgfiredude Member Posts: 206

Do you have a link to the mat?

'21 T@G 5w Boondock, 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser B)

• Options
    edited March 2021

I’m going to Lowes sometime this week because I like the matt so much I want them for back porch. Mine is the grey carpet one. Very heavy stay put kinda deal. I roll her up with a strap and toss it in vehicle.

You know how it is, some stuff works, some not so well, some unexpected.

I’ll post the tag when I get it. They had a gray and a brown one

• Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 271

Dang, we really appreciate ours. We have had it down along the Columbia River in driving rain and no issues. We have had it in the wind and rain. Glad to have. We have an emergency John bucket in one corner, a narrow table along one wall and a carpet on the floor. The door way flap or whatever is draped over the T@G and bungeed to the rail on the opposite side.

Gig Harbor Tom
    Trl '17 T@G Max
    TV 2018 Mazda CX9 Signature

• Options
    edited March 2021

Glad you like it, I can see where it can be appreciated and where it can’t.

• Options
    HellFishHellFish Member Posts: 140

We have a 5X7 and 10X12. Setting up the large tent almost led to divorce more than once...that thing kicked our rears. We got to where we wouldn't use it unless we were going to be in one spot for several days. Once it was up, we liked all the extra space, but wow, we had to work for it. The smaller tent is a breeze to set up, and we have since installed an ARB canopy with tent/side walls. To each his own.

2014 T@G

• Options

I’m gonna make it work portal-wise one way or another, when those 40-60 mph winds kick up I’m gonna withstand.

• Options
    edited March 2021

I’m looking at trying this drip rail because it curls backward and would provide a much better hold on the drawstring of the portal than the current drip rail. I hope it works because it would be the easiest solution.

https://www.amazon.com/Dawn-Enterprises-DW20G-KT-Universal-Gutter/dp/B07C28T9FS/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1WTA9G9DIMN0W&dchild=1&keywords=drip+rail+molding&qid=1615350390&sprefix=drip+rail,aps,200&sr=8-2&th=1

• Options
  • Options
    jeepers29jeepers29 Member Posts: 7

We have had our 10x10 since we got out t@g. We have never had issues. We do use lag screws for stakes and that keeps it from moving at all. I hope you figure out a way to make it work as all the extra room is awesome. We sleep in the trailer and kids in cots in the tent with enough room for changing as well.

• Options
    edited May 2021

Our tent doesn’t move, but when the wind kicks up to 40-70 mph the portal drawstring comes off the gutter. And, if you have the “flap” over the top of your trailer it flaps so much you won’t sleep unless you are dead.

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Lol. You know that @ 40-70 mph per hoir, some building will lose their roof !

Maybe is is a little much to ask for a side tent.

I remember so student that were making a university design project for an all season expedition tent, and they were happy when they place the tent on a flat bed trailer and that tge tent resisted at 60 mph travel, and it was a low cylindrical shape style. 😉

• Options
    edited May 2021

I guess some folk have never been out when weather “just happens” but it ain’t the tent that has the problem.

I’ve never seen a properly installed roof lost at 70mph and I’ve been through bad storms and hurricanes my whole life all over the world.

Heck, my potty tent survived 85mph from a sudden pop-up west Texas Thunderstorm.

• Options
    SueBHunnySueBHunny Member Posts: 133

Weather happens. Some things even the best of gear staked down incredibly well can't survive. It's part of camping. I was at a music festival a couple weeks ago. My 10 x10 EZ up was staked perfectly, including extra guylines that I added for center support. But hours of 40 MPH winds just broke the joints. The stakes held, but the metal couldn't. A thunderstorm would have been fine, but those consistent strong winds turned the whole place into a graveyard for EZ ups and tents. I was so glad to have my solid walled T@G to sleep in when most of the tenters were driven to their cars. Weather happens. You've gotta roll with it.

Sue
    State College, PA
    2015 T@G Max
    2012 Subaru Outback

• Options
  • Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Well, around here, our roofs get rigged for big snow, not necessarly for wind. We maybe see 2-3 tornado a year in the hole province. Snow storm or wind strom really hits us with anything higher than 45-50.

Just an anecdote, I once pitxh my smal hikking tent in strong wind. The tent was perfectly pitch as well tge floor and rain fly did not move an in, but the light weight only pole, was simply push down by he wind, like flat on the ground. A quick fix was simply to move tge car in front of the tent as a wind braker and done for the night, perfect sleep. 😉

• Options

I stay hooked up to my truck at many camp sites and the rig is stable. There has been times when water would blow in around the rear door seals though. All I have on the roof is the stupid fan vent, woulda been better with a wall side vent up high, why cut a hole in the roof.

• Options

Have a 4 man Kelty tent that survived a derecho (Va.) back in 2012, dropped 2 trees in our site & tore the hay outta a bunch of camper awnings/screen houses etc, winds got up to 80+, dang lucky to get the truck to open ground...went back in an hour later & gear/limbs/downed trees everywhere, 1st time I'd heard of a derecho, glad we didn't take the Aliner at the time...