Hitch Ball Mount & Hitch Hardware

csonnicsonni Member Posts: 353
edited March 2021 in Trailers & Towing

I've refrained from buying a hitch ball mount for our TV till we got our T@G XL Boondock which arrived yesterday. Hooked up to our Ford Escape with a ball mount with a 3 inch rise is nearly perfect but about 2 inches too low for our Dodge Grand Caravan, which will be our long distance TV. I really don't like the idea of an adjustable ball mount (aren't they primarily for multiple trailers?) as it could possibly add a lot more clunk noise and play on rougher roads. I'd prefer a fixed ball mount (5 inch rise or so), but if someone can convince me noise and movement isn't an issue with the adjustable ball mounts, I might reconsider. The only thing good I can see with an adjustable is for varying weight. I've installed Timbrens in my springs so sag shouldn't be much of an issue. Anyone? Also, I would think that most ball mounts with a drop listed is almost always reversible for a rise, howbeit a bit less on the rise than the drop listed.

Comments

• csonnicsonni Member Posts: 353
    edited March 2021

I've also used this hitch clamp for years for just local travel. It's done well in taking up the slack of the ball mount shank. Should there be any concern with using this long distance for the tongue weight of the T@G XL Boondock?

"The Wedge" also looks like a good alternative. Quicker to install and uninstall. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds6arGX2Xls

• LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

Well, I have different trailers and different towV. Perso, I prefer less moving parts, more parts, more mouvement. And also, an adjustable hitch might be more pricy than 2 ball mount. This realy is your choice.

As for tye stabelizing system, what you have it good if it works. If it fails, tgen you will be back to tge noise, nothing more than that. As for the wedge looks nice, and if it works, just curious if in the ling term it will not start going uo and down.

Just came across this Curt Rockerball which I'll be considering for our long road trips to reduce the jerking. Had anyone used this Rockerball before? https://www.curtmfg.com/part/40247

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

Interesting.... I've not seen that one. No experience with that, but I've had some experience with rubber isolated ball mounts (the whole receiver-thingy) and didn't like them. On the one I tried, the trailer brakes would cause pogo-ing of the rubber isolator that was pretty horrible unless the brakes were set just right. Never got that system to work so I went back to the old steel on steel. This one might also provide a wee bit of additional fore-aft articulation without binding for us off-road types...

Hmmmm.....

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

edited March 2021

We’re mostly interstate and country road travellers. With our setup now, I do get the occasional jerking on uneven road surfaces. This ball might eliminate that. I contacted Curt about the additional rise one should expect compared to a traditional ball. Have not yet heard back from them. I’m thinking a half inch or so.

edited March 2021

Just heard back from Curt. They sent me this which gives the dimensions. https://www.curtmfg.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=rockerball

Looks like it might add about 1 and 1/4 inch.

• DaveBDaveB Member Posts: 101

I needed an 8 inch rise to tow the boondock with my VW, so the only way to get that was by using an adjustable. I also had to have a custom Class II hitch made to get the 2" receiver needed. I went with the MaxxHaul 70067 ($52CDN on Amazon.ca) and it rattled and clunked like crazy, until I modified it.

I tried the clamp method but it didn't work for me (not enough space to install it). I took some 1/4" plate and cut it down to fit inside the tube, welded a nut to the back of it, then welded the plate to the back of the end that goes in the receiver, I also made a larger square piece of plate and drilled a hole in it. The plate and bolt go in from behind then you tighten the bolt and it pulls the ball mount up super tight, no rattle or clunk.
    Added benefit, it's hard to steal my ball mount easily because nobody expects to need a wrench from behind to get it out.
    To eliminate the rattle and clunking from the adjustable part I drilled a hole then tapped it, I just used a nut and Allen head screw to push one end to make everything tight and rattle free. Again added anti-theft benefit, since two additional tools are needed to loosen it enough to remove it. I also used uncommon sizes so most people won't even own the correct size wrench and allen key to remove it all.
    I have used this set up for 3 years with the T@G and several rented and borrowed utility and motorcycle trailers, not one problem...other than it's a bit awkward to install/remove that big bolt from behind if your TV is low to the ground like my VW is.

The allen bolt needs to be replaced its rusting now but the stainless nut still hanging in.

Toronto, Ontario Canada
    2020 T@G Boondock Edge XL

Great job. How does you VW do in pulling?

• DaveBDaveB Member Posts: 101

Pulls fine, I hardly know its there. I have the Passat TDi with 6spd manual so its a heavy, wide car with a long wheelbase which really helps. Fuel economy suffers a little, I average 5.7l/100km(47mpg) on its own and it drops to 8.7l/100km(27mpg) with the trailer, still respectable. That's with a full load, water tank usually empty, but sometimes full, and two kayaks on the roof of the car. I try to keep my tongue weight a little on the heavy side, usually in the 180-200lb range, I found that when its under that it seems to be a little more bouncy and doesn't feel as solid or stable. The Boondock (at least mine) tips the scales empty at just shy of 1700, and you always want a minimum of 10-15% of that on the tongue.
    Do some test drives with different load configurations, if you typically load on the light side it might be too bouncy for your liking, a full water tank, and an extra 50-60lbs on the tongue storage rack and the bounciness goes away. I have also heard that replacing the tires with ones that run on a lower pressure helps as well, 50psi for those ones it came with is pretty stiff, different tires that would be down in the 30-40psi range would really help smooth the ride as well. not on my list for this year, this year is getting rid of the Yeti and putting in a fridge

Toronto, Ontario Canada
    2020 T@G Boondock Edge XL

Installed the Curt Rockerball and took the trailer for a little ride. Didn't really notice a bit difference at all.