Before starting up A/C

csonnicsonni Member Posts: 353

So, we have our new T@G and, before turning on the A/C (not that we’re even near needing it), is there anything one must do before? Not sure even if the A/C has ever been turned on as its new. Or maybe it’s all plug-n-go?

Comments

• HikinMikeHikinMike Member Posts: 400

Once you are hooked up to electric, turn on the external fan switch located to the left of the AC unit. This vents out hot air once you start the actual AC unit. Then turn on the AC unit and adjust.

2019 T@G Boondock Edge 5W
    2017 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
    2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe

• JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632

Be aware if the ambient temperature inside the T@G is cool (say less than 60 degrees), the actual AC may not kick in. The main AC fan will work, but no additional cooling.

• rasras Member Posts: 173

Make sure your T@G is level from left to right and a half a bubble high in front. The water drain is at the back of the metal pan under the AC. If you have the front of the trailer lower than the back, the condensation won't drain properly, will build up and overflow inside the trailer.

RV 2016 T@G 5W
    TV 2019 Outback or 2011 4Runner

• HellFishHellFish Member Posts: 140

The A/C unit is overpowered for the space it is cooling. Consequently, the A/C cools the air quickly, and when the set temp is reached, the compressor stops running. This means the A/C generally doesn't run long enough to dehumidify the air. Many folks (me included) report cold, but damp air as a result. The answer is to vent the space with open windows/roof vent while the A/C is running. How much is so variable...you have to find what works for your temp and outside humidity. It sounds counterintuitive (open windows while trying to cool), and it isn't energy efficient. To be honest, the cooling setup in the T@G is not its strong point. Good luck.

2014 T@G

• csonnicsonni Member Posts: 353

Great info and advice. I'll remember those posts when we start heating up. Thank you.

• csonnicsonni Member Posts: 353

The first time we plugged in our trailer to shore power I could hear the slight sound of a fan at the side exterior vent and we had turned nothing on at that point. We checked the A/C fan switch and that was not on.

• LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@csonni said:
    The first time we plugged in our trailer to shore power I could hear the slight sound of a fan at the side exterior vent and we had turned nothing on at that point. We checked the A/C fan switch and that was not on.

The fan you are hearing is more than likely the fan from the power convertor, is it part or just behind the fuse panel, that is just under the right cowbell.

It should stop when no 12 volts power is needed or when the bttery is top off.

• rasras Member Posts: 173

My musician wife finds that inverter fan so annoying that we open the breaker for the inverter at night so she can sleep. I just take my hearing aid out,

RV 2016 T@G 5W
    TV 2019 Outback or 2011 4Runner