Options

Magnetic Auxiliary Trailer Lights

csonnicsonni Member Posts: 353
edited March 2021 in Trailers & Towing

Wondering how many RVers travel with a set of lights in case something goes wrong with one's wiring. I read somewhere that it's a good idea to have a backup.

Comments

• Options
    LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240
    edited March 2021

Well, juste cause I say I have never needed it, I will probably be curst and need it in my near futur! 🙄

But nope, never carried a plan B for this. What I usualy do with a trailer that has a 4 pin harness, I simply carry an other 4 pin set. Most of the time, this will be the problem.

I have the basic tools to fix a trailer light system with me in less than an hour or can get the parts I need in any auto parts store and fixt it in less than an hour.

I even had to bypass my jeep ignition switch at my camp site (the switch would not allow the engin to crank) in about an hour and a half. The bypass has been working for 1 1/2 years.

• Options
    zgfiredudezgfiredude Member Posts: 207

@JohnnyLoco, I hope you didn't intend it how you said it......but as a retired police officer and volunteer firefighter I take exception to your phrasing. There are people in all professions that are not good at their jobs. Casting a net over all people in a chosen line of work puts you in a narrow place. Too much of this world is in that narrow place. I hope you see your way out.

'21 T@G 5w Boondock, 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser B)

• Options
    WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 1,311

What is that flag please?

WilliamA

"When I am in charge, Starburst brand fruit chews will get their own food group....and where are all the freakin laser beams? There should be more laser beams..."

2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Boyceville, Wi.

• Options
    edited March 2021

Getting back to the non-political stuff, will magnetic lights work on the Asdel panels (I think not). Most auxiliary lights seem to be fashioned to use in the upright position, assuming one has a trailer with a metal bumper on the back. The ones I’m looking at have magnets that claim to have a 55 lb pull, but that’s useless if one doesn’t have any metal to affix them too.

https://www.amazon.ca/CZC-AUTO-Magnetic-Magnetic-Strength/dp/B06ZXWZNMG/ref=pd_rhf_ee_p_img_5?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=T0A631NFX1YJBDR0X7R7&th=1

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 637

Can you place another magnet from behind the area where you place them?

Sharon - Westlake, Ohio | 2017 TaB CSS - Forum Administrator

• Options
    edited March 2021

Just checked and found that the OEM lights are affixed to a metal frame that has enclosed ends which the magnetic lights would attach to sideways. Perfect. But I am wondering about the claim on the magnet strength. Plenty of negative reviews on the magnet's strength. Add that that, I'd have to mount them sideways which would compromise the strength even more, especially on rough roads.

• Options
    JamesDowJamesDow Member Posts: 632
    edited March 2021

I have had a backup camera attached to the frame with magnets. No problem with it staying in place. Lots of rough roads. If the magnets are strong it should hold.

After all it should be just temporary.

• Options
    rasras Member Posts: 175

When we purchased our used T@G, I showed up with a four pin connector to the T@G's 7 pin. Took a quick trip to a nearby Harbor Freight and bought a set or magnetic lights with a four pin connector. Could not find an adequate magnetic connection so I fastened them to the latches on the clam shell with plastic wire ties. Used a couple more wire ties to anchor the very long wire in place, Worked fine and got me home. Though I've never used it again, I carry it on every trip with a handful of wire ties just in case.

RV 2016 T@G 5W
    TV 2019 Outback or 2011 4Runner

• Options

For sure, in a pinch, the latches are an option.