Weight limit for 2020 TAG Boondock rack?

Any one happen to know what the weight limit is for the rack on a TAG Boondock?

Comments

• stevemilligan42stevemilligan42 Member Posts: 27

I heard back from NuCamp. Weight limit is 150lbs for those curious.

• LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@stevemilligan42 said:

Yep and it is a weight limit that does not make any sense, cause it could be the size of a 150 lbs canoe that will drag like crazy in a strong side wind or be a rocket box that present no drag at all in tge same wind at tge same 150 lbs.

They do not specify if it is static or dynamic weight.

• rasras Member Posts: 173

@LuckyJ said:

@stevemilligan42 said:

Yep and it is a weight limit that does not make any sense, cause it could be the size of a 150 lbs canoe that will drag like crazy in a strong side wind or be a rocket box that present no drag at all in tge same wind at tge same 150 lbs.

I suspect it has to do with the strength of the roof. No more than 150 lbs pressing down..

RV 2016 T@G 5W
    TV 2019 Outback or 2011 4Runner

• LuckyJLuckyJ Member Posts: 1,240

@ras said:

@LuckyJ said:

@stevemilligan42 said:

I suspect it has to do with the strength of the roof. No more than 150 lbs pressing down..

Well, personnaly, I would be more worry about the roof tearing up because of wind drag/burst. But they never comited to anymore explanation than 150 lbs. Like they would not know what is tge design strenght of the T@G structure. They throw it back to tge Yakima capacity.

• stevemilligan42stevemilligan42 Member Posts: 27

That was my concern. Having kayaks on top, with wind shear, could really muck up the TAG roof.

I ended up buying a TrackRac for my Tacoma bed instead of risking it.