Options

Syncing Crane Wall Thermostat

So, those folks with a 2021 T@G that has the Crane heater installed... 

If you ever run into the issue of the heater not coming on, the issue is likely your remote is not synced with the thermostat plug behind the wall. How do you reconnect the connection without tearing apart the walls, you ask? In order to reconnect everything, turn off the heater, unplug the camper/switch off the breaker to shore power, reconnect the plug/switch on the breaker, place the remote near the heater, turn the heater to low or high, and turn on the remote. It’ll re-sync and you’ll have heat! This has to be done anytime you connect to shore power. Learn from our mistake. Haha. We had a cold night last night, and only fixed it this morning.

Johnny and Chelsea
Deming, NM
RV: 2021 T@G XL Boondock
TV: 2017 GMC Canyon SLT (2.8 Duramax)

Comments

• Options
    zgfiredudezgfiredude Member Posts: 206
    edited March 2021

I am wondering about the REAL value of this thermostat......seems like more pain in the *** and gimmick than true valuable asset.

For what it's worth, the actual plug behind the cabinet wall is located just a few inches (3ish) inboard of the outer wall and appx mid way vertically in the cabinet opening. Depending on remote battery strength (carry spares) you may have better luck syncing by holding the remote closer to the outlet. YMMV, good luck.

If this proves to be the constant issue, I may put a small opening in front of the outlet in the cabinet back wall for visibility of the blinking lights and increased communication.

'21 T@G 5w Boondock, 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser B)

• Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 193

@zgfiredude said:
    I am wondering about the REAL value of this thermostat......seems like more pain in the *** and gimmick than true valuable asset.

This Crane heater doesn’t have a thermostat of its own, just an on and off switch. It would get too hot inside without a thermostat. Has anyone taken the cabinet panel off to see how they have the heater mounted? Photos?

2017 T@G Max

• Options

Yea, I get that it doesn't have it's own thermostat, however, I am capable of turning on or off myself when I'm already in there! I'll likely only use it to warm it up before bedtime, and when I wake up. The automatic aspect is not a necessity but a luxury.

I did NOT look at how the actual heater was mounted.

• Options
    Bob297Bob297 Member Posts: 148
    edited March 2021

You can get one of these and go propane—has thermostat also. I’m talking about the heater below the fuse panel. Not the teardrop camper.

• Options
    jahorslejahorsle Member Posts: 35
    edited March 2021

Technically, it does have a thermostat because of the way NuCamp did the plug. It uses a Nashone Wireless Plug with a thermostat in a separate remote control. You set it to low or high and it turns on and off on its own depending on what temp you have it set to. It works great. We usually set it to about 60F on low on the remote control and we stay nice and toasty even below freezing at night. It goes on and off maybe half dozen times throughout the night. Here is the thermostat plug they use in my ‘21 T@G XL Boondock:

Nashone Wireless Plug in Thermostat, Digital Thermostat Outlet LCD Display Temperature Controller with Heating and Cooling Mode for Portable Heater, Electric Fireplace Heater, Conditioner, Etc. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Y18TSLY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_6CQ9D55DM0CXEJ3Z35PJ

Johnny and Chelsea
    Deming, NM

• Options

It is becoming clear to me that I am a terrible communicator.....I will gracefully exit this conversation.

• Options
    paulandrewscottpaulandrewscott Member Posts: 1

I am a new owner of a 2021 TaG Boondock and cannot figure out the Nashone thermostat. The GE A/C unit and the Crane heater both operate when I turn them on. However, I cannot get the thermostat to control either unit.
    Here's what the thermostat does - if I put it into "heat" mode and raise and lower the target temp, the thermostat indicates the heater is "on" and "off." accordingly. Likewise, if it put it into "cool" mode and raise and lower the target temp, again, the thermostat indicates the A/C is "on" or "off."
    But there is no response from the either device (the A/C or the heater) to turn on and off.
    Is there a trick to the pairing process?

Paul Scott
    Burnt Hills, NY
    2021 TaG Boondock
    TV - 2015 Chevy Colorado

• Options
    jahorslejahorsle Member Posts: 35

So, the remote control only controls the ceramic heater. Even though it has the snowflake, the AC unit is completely manual.

The ceramic heater only works on shore power, and if you’ve had the camper turned off or been boondocking for too long, the remote will “un-sync” from the plug behind the wall. To re-sync the remote you have to connect to shore power, place the remote near the heater, set the remote to the flame icon, turn the heater to LOW or HIGH, and then set the temp on the remote to a temp that will make the heater kick on. It will stay synced for as long as you are on shore power. Turn the heater to the off position or turn down the temp, so it doesn’t stay running. It heats up the cabin just fine, and we love our unit.

Johnny and Chelsea
    Deming, NM

• Options
    MontanaDryflyguyMontanaDryflyguy Member Posts: 8
    edited October 2022

OK, I made the mistake of putting batteries in the remote thermostat, which has never been used. Now I don't have a working heater and I can't get it going. I was fine using it manually and I'd like to go back to that status. Help, please!